Author Topic: What do you want to see at DLA  (Read 6177 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
What do you want to see at DLA
« on: September 04, 2011, »
What can we do to make DLA a better place for the users?

Lets hear your ideas.

One I have been thinking about is maybe we should get a new chat room that can have both text only or voice both at the same time maybe with a whiteboard and even video? Would this be an interest? I know some people do not want to talk on a chat room and other of us love not having to type. Plus the voice work so much better when you have to help someone troubleshoot something.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Re: What do you want to see at DLA
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, »
I'm quite pleased with what this forum already offers; a great community of people at different levels of knowledge in different areas helping each other out. I made a comment to my boss at work today indicating that on-line forums with hundreds of dedicated users of a product generally give better advice than what telephone support reps employed by the manufacturer.

The idea of not having to type is great since I'm not the fastest, but it's hard to use a Search tool to find an important nugget of information through archives of recorded voices. And text-to-speech software is still pretty lame when it comes to accuracy. Another problem with voice-to-voice communication that two people will have to schedule their chat sessions to solve a problem, or hope that someone who knows how to solve your problem happens to be in the voice chat room.

However, if monthly scheduled "webcasts" with a planned agenda and shared screen were offered, along with the ability to view archived webcasts with a decent text description to search by, that would be great.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, »
Hi RJ

The red menu bar at the top needs some work. The links should open up a new window and the text is hard to read (different color?)

The wiki software needs to be updated (I have a feeling what your reply will be LOL)

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, »
Can we get the text in the menu bar changed to Yellow? or White?

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, »
However, if monthly scheduled "webcasts" with a planned agenda and shared screen were offered, along with the ability to view archived webcasts with a decent text description to search by, that would be great.

I like this idea but boy does it require some time a week for someone to do it and take away from CoOp, Family, Project, Hobby time.  There is also a cost to this - GoToMeeting is a GREAT tool just expensive ... their are a few alternative but hit and miss on what works.  My favorite DimDim was purchased but did work well.  I am looking at a few apple alternative included in their suit of server products.  Also You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is one people recommend I haven't really looked into YET.

The wiki is GREAT just wish to get more people contributing to it.  For me a simple thing ... For the PCB's you have setup a Wiki page with a PayPal button and ether let it calculate shipping or just do a flat $10.  Personally if you make a few bucks off each order - I know you it will go right back into R&D.  But would cut down on the PM you get and also help n00bs get the products.  Little easier to say go here and buy then send a PM get a quote ...... This also can allow for someone else to help you out with this.  It also can do inventory management and all that jazz ... yes it seams kind of store like but a WHOLE lot less of a PITA.

I also think if you posted a giant wish list of thing you would like to do where people could maybe see if they have the skills and step up and help out.  I know I would.

Keep up the GREAT work!!!!!!!

Harrison

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, »
And I would be one of those willing to step up and help. :)
This is my fourth year!!!
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights
Controlled by Vixen 3.1, Xlights Nutcracker
"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, »
I do agree that the Wiki could use some work. I'm tempted to clarify some items and change the order of installation of some components on the Express assembly instructions page, but I feel that I'd be stepping on someone's toes.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, »
I do agree that the Wiki could use some work. I'm tempted to clarify some items and change the order of installation of some components on the Express assembly instructions page, but I feel that I'd be stepping on someone's toes.

Personally I feel the LE manual is pretty good. Other manuals need to be updated. MR16/DC, splitter, SS boards, etc

If anyone feels they can improve a manual. Send me a PM and I will setup a temp page for that board so they can work on it.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline barbotte

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, »
a chat room would be awsome as sometime a live answer is way better and faster than the forum
cheer

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, »
a chat room would be awsome as sometime a live answer is way better and faster than the forum
cheer

There are a LOT more negatives tho - no historical for the next guy with the same question - also you need to have someone who knows the answer in there when you are.  Where a forum shines ....

There is chat currently - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Harrison

Offline barbotte

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, »
cheer

There are a LOT more negatives tho - no historical for the next guy with the same question - also you need to have someone who knows the answer in there when you are.  Where a forum shines ....

There is chat currently - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Harrison
chat did not want to open for me .. and i did not even know we had a chat room  ...maybe a button on the main page would be good so peole know its there and how many are log in ...
cheer

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, »
It not working for most people. It had a tendency to lockup and kick people out when we use to use it. Thats why I was thinking of getting a better one maybe. The button was remove for that reason. When I am working in the shop ont he bench it is hard to monitor a text chat so I like the voice chat (teamspeak) but not everyone does so I was looking at one to do both. That way you can talk or type. they do cost some real money so unless a lot of people would use it I think it does not make sense.   

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, »
I would like a way to favorite threads so I can find them later. I do most of my browsing via my non smart phones browser.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, »
When I click on the wiki to check on something, a new window or a new tab should open up.  As it is the wiki opens and I lose my place in the forum without hitting back multiple times, depending on what all I looked at while I was browsing in the wiki.  I am aware that I can right click on the link and do this, but I think it should automatically spawn a new window or tab - preferably a tab when just click on the link.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, »
When I click on the wiki to check on something, a new window or a new tab should open up.

In recent versions of browsers, clicking on your mouse's wheel does the same thing without the nuisance of pop-up menus and choosing "Open in new tab".