Author Topic: What do you want to see at DLA  (Read 6176 times)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Re: What do you want to see at DLA
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, »
If you use firefox, you can tell it in the options to open links in a new window or tab.....

Myk

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When I click on the wiki to check on something, a new window or a new tab should open up.  As it is the wiki opens and I lose my place in the forum without hitting back multiple times, depending on what all I looked at while I was browsing in the wiki.  I am aware that I can right click on the link and do this, but I think it should automatically spawn a new window or tab - preferably a tab when just click on the link.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, »
If you use firefox, you can tell it in the options to open links in a new window or tab.....

Myk

When I click on the wiki to check on something, a new window or a new tab should open up.  As it is the wiki opens and I lose my place in the forum without hitting back multiple times, depending on what all I looked at while I was browsing in the wiki.  I am aware that I can right click on the link and do this, but I think it should automatically spawn a new window or tab - preferably a tab when just click on the link.

Sorry that works most other sites and links but not this one, maybe because the wiki is consider part of this site and not another site.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, »
What can we do to make DLA a better place for the users?

Lets hear your ideas.

Seems to be a growing trend of CoOps ending as soon as they get started. Lets see if we can avoid those situations if at all possible. I suppose it depends on what your definition of reasonable is...

Thats my opinion. Lets hear others.   <yk..

Leon
Leon

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, »

Seems to be a growing trend of CoOps ending as soon as they get started. Lets see if we can avoid those situations if at all possible. I suppose it depends on what your definition of reasonable is...

Thats my opinion. Lets hear others.   <yk..

Leon

Hi Leon,
Sounds good, what are your suggestions?

The following is just my opinion with random thoughts or just me rambling :)

Here is the problem as I see it. It is very difficult to do a large coop (RJ & JJ, Bill are the exceptions(crazy??)) just for the shear amount of parts to purchase, sort, box, ship, etc. Along with the time need to get everything done while still have a home life and a full time job.  Plus trying to get everyone their kits quick enought for assembly, testing so they can use it for whatever holiday they need it for. The other issue is the amount of users wanting RJ's next awesome/current device. So to help the volunteer coop manager a limit of kits is set to help keep things manageable.

So one solution that I see is on a new item or one that is very popular to have more than one coop manager setup to run a coop. That would mean a couple of things need to happen. First more approved volunteers are needed to run the coops and second hopefully the electronics suppliers can keep enough parts in the warehouse for us. If there is not enough parts available what good would running many coops do since the coops would just be on hold until the parts are made and shipped to us. I know one suggestion would be to run each coop for x many days with limited orders per member.  So everyone has the chance to get in the coop which sounds good but at the same time we will have to limit folks to one item for x many days and after that they could add more later if possible. The question is how many days = x to keep everyone happy? How about we say one Aether put a member for 15 days and one hundred members order a kit in the first 10 days, how many folks would be happy with one Aether for their display?

Ideas, thoughts greatly appreciated

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, »
How do we get the COOPs done in a place like China, where labor costs are very low?  That seems like the only way to improve on the current situation, and we'd probably instead have a whole slew of new problems instead.

I'm pretty happy with COOPs the way they are current done.  I think most of complaints come from people who don't visit often or who are unable to check the board regularly.  I mean all you have to do is go to the current coops forums and click on the 'notify' button ... and you'll get an email when a new COOP is started.

My third thought is that it would be nice to have some kind of informal/unofficial COOP capability ... like a way to coordinate and combine small orders from Ray to save on shipping and/or buy in more economical quantities/lots.   The basic model would be to host a $100-$200 order and agree to ship the other COOP participants their items within a week using prepaid USPS boxes, like the $4.95 or $10.75 boxes only.   Perhaps what is in it for the mini-COOP manager is free shipping on their items, where all others would share their items cost + shipping, pro-rated per item.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, »
Another thought?

I am not even sure if its possible since I am not in the loop. But when a coop is getting setup how about a announcement of it and the date it will start. Instead of the coop just showing up in the coops board.

Example Announcement would be: Freestyle Coop starting July 11, 2007 at 7pm EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)
* Note: I purposely used a previous date *

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses and much respect to you both. I'll try to be brief so as not to hijack RJ's thread.
Sounds good, what are your suggestions?
(deer in the headlights)... :-\
I think most of complaints come from people who don't visit often or who are unable to check the board regularly.  I mean all you have to do is go to the current coops forums and click on the 'notify' button ... and you'll get an email when a new COOP is started.
What I was refering to are the CoOps that have only run a few hours. Not many I know but they have happened. The most recent was due to parts shortage.
I am not even sure if its possible since I am not in the loop. But when a coop is getting setup how about a announcement of it and the date it will start. Instead of the coop just showing up in the coops board.
This sounds good and I have seen Keith do that I believe.

Thanks

Leon
Leon

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, »
Sorry, I misunderstood. 

I think any time there are limited quantities ... there will be disappointment.

It's kind of inherent in these COOPS.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses and much respect to you both.
I agree

I'll try to be brief so as not to hijack RJ's thread.

but Too Late!  ;D

Guys you are talking about a very difficult thing that has been talked about over and over. The problem is until you are on the receiving end of the complaints and are the one doing the work, not to upset anyone but, "its easy and this is all you need to do".

Lets go over a few of the point and recommendations.

1 - We should pre announce the coops so everyone knows when they will be.

Ok, sounds great, what time will we launch our coops knowing some will close in hours? If we do it at say 8 pm E.S.T then most west coasters are still at work and by the time they get home their is none for them. Then the mad pm's begin to me about doing that. 12 hours later the overseas people begin to pm me to tell me how unfair I am for doing it when they are sleeping in the middle of the night. If we do it as the last coop manager did in the middle of the night for E.S.T. then we have the complaints I got this time about doing it late at night.

I have tried each and every way and almost not one time have I not upset some group. I have a couple of pm's from people complaining about the current Express coop. That was announced months ago and ran for a week.

I once got a pm from a person upset telling me he had tried to get into an express coop for almost a year and a half and missed everyone of them. That it was not fair the way I ran them and he should be allowed to put in a reservation to reserve some. When I explianed their had been at least 8 coops in that time he said he knew but always missed out. Then I asked him how often he checked the forum?  Once every three to four months!

Is that our fault or his? It is clear he is not a very serious member so should he be given special consideration over those who are here almost daily?

2 - We should not allow coops to close in such short amount of time.

Ok lets think this one out.  Since I have no control over demand and have limited resources of people doing the work, and have no say in the numbers of parts the warehouses stock, this leads to a big issue. If we do this I must tell coop managers that they can not decide how much work they are willing to do and if they open a coop it must run some period of time no matter how much work it piles on them. I think we can kiss a bunch of the coops managers goodbye. I know Dad would not do anymore coops if I told him that. We have had Express coops that I think would of hit 1000 units in the past if we went by that rule. Who can handle this for free in their spare time?

Then the other issue comes to be part supplies. We had approx 100 LEDS available for the Aether II coop. The lead time is 10 weeks on them. If we let as many as they want order not one person would receive an Aether II in time to use it this year. Before you start saying well ship the 100 out then make the others wait. Think of this, who gets the 100, the first to order? Oh wait they would have mainly been the west coasters since it was late when it was posted, here comes the mad pm's at RJ again from east coasters and overseas people.

Continuing on this coop, Their is a limit we try to keep new coop managers to of $5000 dollars. We do this to protect the members and the new coop managers. This is for the gun ho manager that has never done one and does not truly understand the work involved. They will jump at running a coop like the 600 unit express ones dad do, but often not understanding the work, they get into trouble fast. If you look at other sites that have had failed coops this is a common theme. Some of our Halloween members can talk about this in clear detail with some of the issues they have had because of sites that just allow anyone to run a coop of any size. The 100 unit coop was a little over this already.

Take note that we have never had a failed coop, This alone should speak for itself. 

3 - We should have qty limits on the coops to make sure as many users as can get them.

Ok I like this and have done it on items that have been out on coops a number of times. But when you look at the first coop where no one has any yet and think of needing 5 Aethers to do your show, but you can only get two on the coop. Yes we end up with more people getting them. But they all can not use them in the show this year as none have enough. So maybe a few people have enough to do their shows makes more sense than a bunch having not enough to do anything with.

4 - We should let people run off site coops for things.

Not going to happen, Why would they want to run them off site? To avoid our coop rules? why would we make rules to protect the members and then allow people to start off site coops that do not abide by them and allow people to point our members there from our forum? If they want to avoid the rules it means that one of the following is likely.

1 - They are not within the rules for being a coop manager which means they are fairly new to the site and not been an active member. So the risk to the member for someone to take their money goes way up. It also means the admins on DLA also not have information on the person running it.

2 - They do not want to be limited to only making a coop fee on the coop, if this is the case this is not really a coop but someone running a business that is being disguised as a coop.

3 -  They do not want to be a part of DLA just want to use it as a advertising media. Since I am not interesting in advertising income and do not want advertising on DLA then why would I support this?

The fact is the only and I do mean ONLY people that should have any complaints about any coop that has run at DLA is the coop managers who work hard to save the others a lot of money.  Then as for just one example, have to deal with a user sending them a pm complaining that had he sent it in a different box his shipping would have been about $2 less. This of course would have required much more time and effort on the poor Coop Manager who by the way just saved the same member who is complaining approximately $80 then if there had been no coop. That is the people that I should see complaining but they never do, They ignore the few, for the good of the many, and line up to do another coop to help out.

The coop managers are the "Man in the Arena" in this case and the true heros of this site. They have saved our members many 100s of thousands of dollars over the years.

I do not think we do a bad job with the coops and think if that was the case I would not have been asked by a non lighting forum for input on how to run coops on their site successfully.

Remember DLA is not about coops, They are just a side that we do to benefit the members.

This is not meant to be a nasty post but because of my writing style it will be talken that way by some, it is just cold hard facts since these comments come up every time there is a coop that people did not get want they wanted.

RJ   
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, »
I do not think it is right for a coop manager to go out of his way to do coop's for members just because they are good guys and have a few kick dirt at them.  I have only been with DLA for about 1 1/2 years.  I can honestly say "I HAVE NEVER MISSED A COOP" that I wanted to be in.  I have been in coops for the Aeon, Aether 1, Pixel net hubs etc, several Expresses, two ssr4's and more.  I check the site morning noon and night (minimum).  I even put the tap a talk on my android phone so when I am at the lake for a camping trip, I can still keep an eye on things.  The Aether 2 coop that just ran.  I did not need or want any but a friend of mine wanted some.  We knew it would go fast and I told him I would call him morning noon or night if I saw it start.  Just after 10pm central time I saw it running.  I called him and woke him up.  He run right to the computer and placed his order.

I guess if you want it bad enough you will find a way.  My way is just staying on top of the forum.  Shoot have a friend call you.  If I was to miss one I would not PM and complain because I completely understand how the coops work.

Last year was my first year and it was 144 channels and 20K plus lights.  I had people lined up in front of the house watching my show.  It is an awesome feeling to have completed such a thing.  I could have never done it without help from DLA.  I owe it all to the RJ, coop managers and members.  I have seen bigger shows and smaller shows then mine.  I was very pleased the way mine turned out.

I thank you from my heart for the great job you do for us.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
    • Carter Christmas Lights
What do you want to see at DLA
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, »
Im very new to DLA and have seen some pretty amazing stuff from RJ and members. The most amazing thing I have seen is his awesome never-ending desire to give. I can only imagine the crap that coop managers go through to get us our parts. I've seen in the past where the sour apples just kinda weed themselves out over time. Hopefully if you read this and are wanting to send RJ a message that is less than nice, maybe don't send it at all. I'm sure he has enough pains to deal with!

Donny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline keitha43

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, »
For those of us that didn't find out about the coop until it was too late (I had already gone to bed), if the led was the only part in short supply, could a led with an amber instead of white led be substituted? Since I would probably only use the RGB leds anyway. Not sure how the amber or white leds would be used anyway unless you wanted white light without using the rgb leds. I too had planned on using them in my display this year and would have appreciated an email before the coop started so I would have had a equal shot as the east coast people. I can only hope another coop happens before Christmas. This is not a rant and I appreciate everything this site  and especially what RJ and the coop managers do.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, »
Funny, The east coast people thought it started too late for them and it was slanted to the west coasters since it was earlier there?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, »
how about they just start at 00:00 GMT, then everyone can deal with their own time zone

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, »
I have only been with DLA for about 1 1/2 years.  I can honestly say "I HAVE NEVER MISSED A COOP" that I wanted to be in.  I have been in coops for the Aeon, Aether 1, Pixel net hubs etc, several Expresses, two ssr4's and more.  I check the site morning noon and night (minimum). 
Ron
[rant]
I agree 100% with Ron. I have never missed a coop that I wanted to be in. None of the coops are total surprises. We always have an idea when a coop is gonna happen. If you are a serious DLAer, you can have alerts emailed to you for every topic on the forum.
It's not the end of the world if you don't get 3 Aether 2's for your show. You didn't have them last year. If you really need floods, there are other options available. They may not be comparable to the Aether 2, but they are floods
I really can't understand why anyone would be upset or pissed off because they missed a coop. I can understand being disappointed.
With the number of members we now have, it is impossible to please everyone.
Don't get upset with the coop manager or RJ. Make your own breaks
[/rant]

John

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!