Author Topic: What do you want to see at DLA  (Read 6175 times)

Offline tng5737

Re: What do you want to see at DLA
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, »
On a different tack - I think that it would be nice to have a new section dedicated to either full sequences or snippets (macro effects) of sequences.   We have all the  new wonderful technology like pixels but sequencing them seems to me to be quite different than do so with straight one colored strings and by extension super-strings (RGB).   How to effectively deal with these nodes is a daunting task and it might be useful to see what 'macros' (for want of a better word) others have developed.
These section could even be subsections of the program sections like lsp and vixen lor
The sections make more sense here since the actual seq program sites care little about pixels (except for LSP -where many of us hangout)

Just a thought.

Offline pHoZfoRus

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, »
WARNING – long post – may or may not be worth reading   ::)

First of all, I must confess that some of this is OCD type behaviour, but I thought I would share how I collate all of the information from the wiki and the forum for my purposes.  By sharing how I do it, this may help with suggesting some improvements, but I do not expect that this will be the way everyone will do it or want to do it.

As I live in Australia, I need to make sure that I have the 240 volt modifications right, and because of shipping costs and delivery times, I try to source as many of the parts from the most economical supplier (e.g. price breaks and free shipping over a certain quantity).

To do this, I have an Excel spreadsheet that collates all of the BOM parts for the Lynx Hardware I am building to make a ‘Master Parts List” and “Hardware Parts List”: giving each part a Project Number for cross reference in the spreadsheet.  I noticed that the hardware sometimes uses the same part, so by collating the BOMS, I am able to meet some (if not most) price breaks and identify alternative suppliers (out of stock or lower price).  Also, I am able to store these by Project Number (if you look at the pictures, you will see the OCD coming in here) to use as I need.  So far by doing this, I have saved hundreds of dollars.  In essence, it is an easy way for me to track what I need to order.  There is a lot more in this spreadsheet in terms of working out the best supplier, number used / needed of each part etc, but as this spreadsheet is particular to 240 volt modifications, I thought it prudent not to put the whole spreadsheet up for viewing.

When it comes to ordering parts, I simply use the BOM managers to place my order, copying the information from the spreadsheet.  As I said, it works for me, but may not be every ones cup of tea to do it this way.  Also, as I find I am not ordering everything from Mouser, I have to copy and paste the Mouser BOM out anyway.  I see advantages and disadvantages to having the BOM for the hardware in its current format, however for my purposes; I find I am creating my own BOM.

When it comes to the build manual, the wiki is great in terms of the content, however I have grabbed a copy and added the BOM that matches the build (with each part having its Project Number added).  Also, after researching the forums and wiki, I add in the 240 volt modifications and particularly note the 240 volt substitutions or comments I have read on forums.  I have completed my second build of a Lynx Express using only the printed version and it worked first go (woohoo with a double fist pump).

Please note that I am very aware that RJ has made this hardware with particular parts to ensure safe and reliable operation of his hardware, and that substitution of parts due to end of life, out of stock or voltage modifications needs careful consideration.  I do not make any substitutions without this in mind, so please keep this in mind when viewing the attachments (aimed at 240v usage).

So to wrap it up, I suppose the common theme I found in what I am doing is the generation of a Lynx "Master Part Number" so that I can keep myself on track.  After re-reading the blurb I have just typed, I suppose I should make a suggestion in order to stay on topic.  When new hardware is released (or modifications made), perhaps a Master Part Ref table is maintained on the Wiki (with room for voltage modification / substitution notes) and the BOMs contain this Master Part Ref.

e.g. Lynx PN-050 :: Pulse :: BV020-5382.0 :: Transformers 230v 0.5 VA 6V@83mA :: This part is substituted for Lynx PN-0?? to enable 240v operation in the Lynx DMX Splitter v2

Russell

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, »
Very nice manual!

Myk

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2011, »
 <res.

Awesome manual.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, »
I do like that manual as well although the jury is still out. Is it just me or is it the same as the one RJ wrote??? only in a slightly different format. I'll have to study it some more.   :-\

Leon

EDIT - Oh I get it,,, the BOM.   ;)
Leon

Offline pHoZfoRus

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2011, »
Hi Leon - you were right to point out it is 99% RJ's manual and I want it understood that all I have done is add my '2 cents' worth to it so I had a personal copy that made it easy for me to print and use (I have word templates for many others for this very purpose).  By no means am I suggesting that it is in some way better or my own new re-write (hence why the acknowledgement in the document history on the cover).  8)

Russell

Offline blaha

• Patron Member
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am really looking forward to our get together in Florida next year.

A little off topic, but unless I missed something I believe this was moved to the Academy in Texas. Just want to make sure you don't miss out.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2011, »
I do like that manual as well although the jury is still out. Is it just me or is it the same as the one RJ wrote??? only in a slightly different format. I'll have to study it some more.   :-\

Leon

EDIT - Oh I get it,,, the BOM.   ;)

the BOM and I also like that it is a pdf - can be viewed on my tablet that I use for assembly at the bench, and I think it has a better layout for printing.....  just my 2 cents

Myk

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2011, »
Hi RJ

Many thanks for updating the forum. I see the menu bar at the time is now white letters and the wiki link opens a new window.

Thanks again for making the updates

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required