Author Topic: Deals for 6' extension cords?  (Read 4424 times)

Offline zwiller

Deals for 6' extension cords?
« on: September 09, 2011, »
Anybody have a leads for "indoor" 6 foot extension cords at a good price? (better than $1.47 each).  I suppose I am spoiled cause I got a ton of em last year at Menards for 69 cents.  Holding out for a sale...

Thanks in advance!
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline SGInut

Re: Deals for 6' extension cords?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, »
Dollar General has them for... $1 :)  And their green.

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Dollar General has them for... $1 :)  And their green.

Have you seen them for $1 lately?

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline SGInut

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, »
Wow.... I meant to say Dollar Tree and yes, I saw them there on Saturday... but I might second-think getting them when I saw this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I know it's from 2006 but the cords on the shelf look just like this one.

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, »
I asked if you have seen them lately because I bought some of the green dollar tree ones.  I went back to the local dollar trees last fall to buy a bunch more and all stores were out.  I have not looked this year so far.  I will check them out.

Thanks

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline Christmas.joe

• Listen To Those Lights!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, »
Anybody have a leads for "indoor" 6 foot extension cords at a good price? (better than $1.47 each).  I suppose I am spoiled cause I got a ton of em last year at Menards for 69 cents.  Holding out for a sale...

Thanks in advance!

Home Depot has white or brown for $1.14, I bought all they had in my area.
First Live Show 2011 Success Is Good!
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, »
I went back to the local dollar trees last fall to buy a bunch more and all stores were out.

As I have posted (perhaps on this board, perhaps elsewhere), Dollar Tree has an unusual inventory policy -- whatever comes on the truck they put out and when it's gone, it's gone. Sometimes the same product comes on the next truck, sometimes not.

If history is any guide, Dollar Tree puts out extension cords once a year and when they're gone ... well, you  get the idea. You pretty much have to start prowling the stores right about this time of year and buy them out. I open my wallet, see how much money I have and buy that many cords.

I was speculating recently that they'd be selling five-foot cords this year, as their Cat5 cables suddenly got shorter a few months back. When you can't raise the price, you have to lower the cost somehow and we all know that the price of copper is skyrocketing.

HTH.

\dmc

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, »
Well finally made it out to me Dollar Tree.  No cords...  I will make it a point to stop out now and then to see if they make it in.  I looked at last years post and Menards ran a $.75 special in November.  I can't pin it down, but around this time last year they had them on sale for $.69.  I am watching like a hawk...  But preparing myself to shell out $1 a pop if I have to.

Thanks for the replys! 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, »
I had a few more expresses that needed cords and went with female vampire sockets on spt2 wire instead of more extension cords to save money.  I know it is not as good but it is much cheaper.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, »
Not entirely against going that direction.  However, when I run the numbers I just don't see the value.  6' of spt1 @$.15/ft plus a socket of $.50 is $1.40.  Am I way off?

Offline SGInut

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, »
Slightly off original discussion... I did put in a request to have custom cords made for my controllers from a vendor and they did come back with fairly reasonable pricing (although it did require a 500 pcs minimum order).  For a 3' long 2-prong connector (not the 3-way blocks found on normal extension cords but just a single inline) the price was $0.97.  For a 3' long 3-prong connector (like a heavy duty grounded outdoor (as in bright orange kind) extension cord), it was $1.51.  Additional length was possible and was priced based upon current (as of time of order) copper and PVC costs. Lead time was only 21 days.

The cord drawings are attached for a better perspective of what's possible... maybe down the road one we could see a possible group buy to help DLA members source them cheaply and not have to worry about finding enough.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is where I bought a bunch of 1 ft to stick on my LEs.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, »
Not entirely against going that direction.  However, when I run the numbers I just don't see the value.  6' of spt1 @$.15/ft plus a socket of $.50 is $1.40.  Am I way off?

I thought you were cutting off all but 2 feet for controllers or something like most do.  If the off site coop comes through I paid less then 30 cents for the plugs.  I had a big box full of plug side of extension cords I cut for controllers.  (about 4 feet with plug)  I cut 2 feet off those cords and added a vampire socket.  I see it costing me about 30 cents per plug/channel for my expresses.

You are not way off.  It depends on what you have and need I guess.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline zwiller

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, »
Truthfully, moving and putting away the LE with 6 footers can be a bear but often times I get to my lights without additional extension cords.  I think your solution is perfect!  Just wish I had a box of plug sides too... 

This is making me rethink how I do things, and that's a good thing.  Also giving me an idea for a new post.  How do most people prefer setting up.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, »
I just arrived home from my latest foray to Dollar Tree ... no extension cords ...

But they were pretty surprised when I bought 16 night lights (I'm going to use them for testing midi-tree sequences).

What was I going to use 16 night lights for, asked the clerk.

My Christmas lights show, I allowed.

Oh, getting started early, she said.

No, I said. I'm late. I am so damn late.

\dmc

PS: Wife said the other night, "I don't suppose we could take a vacation in the last week of October, could we?" Only if you want to go alone, I said. "Christmas lights?" she said with scorn. Of course.