Author Topic: Deals for 6' extension cords?  (Read 4425 times)

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: Deals for 6' extension cords?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, »
FWIW, I take the Dollar Tree six-footers and make them any length I want by adding more SPT2 -- I just spice in the difference between six feet and I what I need. So, some solder and some heat-shrink tubing and I'm all set.

\dmc

Offline Christmas.joe

• Listen To Those Lights!
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, »
My math wasn't very good and really, I didn't flunk math...must have been a finger fart on the keyboard. I like the idea of having all that cord around so if you need to make one you can cusomize it.  At first I wanted to make my own, but when I came across the $1.14 6 ft cords, I thought; self, that would save a little time.  If you're NOT lazy like me, then being a true DIY would make sense; especially if you concider travel and the fuss of shopping around everytime there is an extension needed.

I think next year I'll just pick a spool of cord; that way I can make it when I need it.

<pop..
First Live Show 2011 Success Is Good!
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline zwiller

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, »
It’s not all about the numbers.  Everybody has their own preference on how to hookup.  Until this year I’ve never considered mounting a controller closer to the majority of my lights.  In the past I kept my controllers hidden behind trees close to my house.  Don’t really know why.  Kinda worried somebody might rip it off or open it up, etc.  Problem is I used a lot of long extension cords to do this. 

This year I am trying to design a layout where I can mount a controller close to the lights but still kind of hidden by another element.  Hopefully this eliminates some really long extension cords.  Anybody just stick a controller in the middle of the yard for optimum cord efficiency?  Am I the only one trying to hide the controllers?  I know you can’t see it at night, but just seems weird to me.   

I need to build 4 LE’s this year.  For 2 of them I am going to make 2 footers with vampire plugs from my 6 foot cords and see how it goes.  Kinda weirded out by the vampire connectors but I figure they must work if that many of us are using em.  My current LE’s have full 6 footers attached.  Can be a bear to setup and tear down but I can get a lot hooked up to em with out extension cords.     
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, »
I use 1000' spools of spt and vampire plugs.  Since going to this method I have stopped buying the extension cords.  As I can make the cords any length that I need.
I put my controllers close to the lights, yea they can be seen but most people don't see them at night.

Bill

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, »
I'm now finding that by putting my controllers near the lights and using smart strings which have power thru ethernet that I have a surplus of cords.  How things change.  And I'm not selling any at the moment.  Always good to have extras around.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rimist

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, »
Found plenty of the 16ga 6ft cords at local Dollar Tree stores. Can't find a single one of the metal clip light bases though
- Rimist

Offline C and J irrigation

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, »
After 2 years, I finally assembled my two LE's and then scrambled to get cords before Thanksgiving. Did a little homework, Homedepot has 6ft varieties for 1.47 and Lowes has a special for 1.19. Long story short I picked up 59 brown and white 6 footers for a 1.07 a piece, if I remember right. Now I just need to fix all my lights. Rust sidelined two led sets this year  >:( and seems every multi set has had problems and problems and problems.