Author Topic: Stumped  (Read 3029 times)

Offline kmcallorum

Stumped
« on: September 16, 2011, »
Setup Win 7 64 bit.  1 DMX Dongle v 2.0.  All pieces soldered and looks good.  But connection to PC shows NO less, no power, no sparks, no burns, nothing. PC plain does not see the board.  Now the questions.
The Pixelnet was programmed with Pickit 3. But the number is "Pic18F2450" that sounds right?
The right smaller piece is labeled A 6N137.
The left smaller piece is St ? 128X

All other piece look good.  Pic notch is left and two smaller pieces the notch is down and the mark is down.

Not sure what went wrong.

Kevin

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Stumped
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, »
Hi Kevin

Sounds like the dongle is not getting power from the usb port and the computer is not seeing a new connection being connected to it.
If the computer is detecting the dongle than you will see it in the device/printer screen (start, device & printers) DLP-USB245M

1 - try another usb cable
2 - carefully check all solder joints
3 - compare the parts on your dongle to the picture in the assembly manual
4 - if red led is not lit then its not getting power, possible the usb module on the dongle is the problem

there is a few topics talking about this. Here is one that shows pictures of how he fixed the usb module You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

hope that give you a starting point

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, »
Did you load the FTDI USB drivers? 

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, »
Thanks Rick.

I have compared and all look fine.  I double checked the Pic and all looks fine.

The Drivers are loaded.

I am just not sure why there is no power coming down the usb cable and I have tried many.

Oh well, I guess it's not meant to be.

Kevin

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, »
Maybe reflash the pic with the dongle hex file and see if the computer recognizes it then. If that doesn't work, post some (large) clear pictures, front and back, and we'll take a look.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, »
Try loading the FTDI on a different computer and plug it in. We have had issues with the driver on the computer make it not detect so it does not work. Do you hear it give the sound that windows makes you connect the dongle? The only thig it takes for the computer to see the dongle is a good usb module. Soldered on the pcb. You can leave every other part off the pcb and the computer should still see the usb module.

Let us know you findings.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, »
Yeah, I hear nothing.  I wish I had another "PC" now... Mac guy.   1 PC.  But I am thinking it's the driver, but who knows I am a Noob.

Here's what I have so far, I know I am not the "best" on soldering but I have had boards in the past when hands were steadier and eyes were not bifocals and hair was a color not gray.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, »
Have you gone into your control panel and see if the drivers have a ! on them?  if so, you have a driver problem. 

I would boot into safe mode, go to device mgr and see what drivers (multi copies?) are installed and remove them. 
Then boot back into normal mode and install the newest version of the drivers BEFORE plugging the usb cable in
It then should find the usb unit.

Another thing you can do since you are a single pc and mac guy, is grab the mac version of the drivers from their web site, and see if your mac see the unit.
If your mac dont see it, then it looks like a bad or damaged usb unit on the board....

Myk

RJ - something that might be added to the wiki on the build manual - have them test the usb module BEFORE its soldered to the board, then if it is bad, they can return it to mouser or where ever for replacement since it has not been soldered on....  just a thought....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, by mykroft »

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, »
Thanks.... God damage, right out of the box to the board I was hoping that wasn't the case.  But it may be the mac version of the driver did not see it but my trepidation is that my OSX is Lion and it does not even see my smart card anymore.  I am trying to locate a pc that I can test with that is not 7 64 bit and maybe xp based.  The issue is that I am bound by my living to reinstall this pc and my other pc that I had ( God rest it's soul ) is a boat anchor.  I just cannot believe that it's the board or parts but hey maybe I reversed polarity on the power? 

I appreciate the help as I try my first diy board, but it does not look good so far.

Kevin
PS Sad for a 25 year admin/programmer. Yes I have tried the tricks of the M$ and OSX.... But alas I may be throwing in the towel unless I can find an XP machine---Yes XP.  To check the board vs parts question.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, by kmcallorum »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, »
RJ - something that might be added to the wiki on the build manual - have them test the usb module BEFORE its soldered to the board, then if it is bad, they can return it to mouser or where ever for replacement since it has not been soldered on....  just a thought....

It will not work until you solder it to the pcb.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline caretaker

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, »
Try plugging the dongle into your MAC, if the red light comes on then you know it is a problem with the PC supplying power to the dongle, if the red light does not come on then there is a problem with the dongle.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, »
Not Giving up yet...
RJ PM Message... I am going to get this to work... somehow...

Kevin
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, by kmcallorum »

Offline blaha

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, »
Want to post that I am having this exact same issue. All my solder joints look good, and I have triple checked my PIC is programmed correctly. I put my meter on the usb cable and confirmed I am getting a steady 5V from the computer. I get no sounds, does not show up in the device manager, and no red LED. I have tried on 2 PC's. Are there any other pins I can put my meter on to check voltages down the line?

Offline blaha

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, »
Ok I just went to the link Rick posted on the 2nd reply and the jumper trekster documented worked for me. I will probably keep the jumper solution as I don't feel like dealing with the RMA. Does anyone know if the jumper solution is still working for Ron? I just bought this USB module from Mouser so I guess there are still some bad ones out there. So glad to know it wasn't me screwing up some how.

Kevin I bet this is most likely going to be your issue. I had the exact same  symptoms you did.

Brian

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, »
Yep, I did the same thing.  Spent hours trying to get the wire on that part but that was the issue.

Thanks guys.

Kevin