Author Topic: New into DMX RGB world DMX Dongle ?? Express ??  (Read 2803 times)

Offline ritztech

New into DMX RGB world DMX Dongle ?? Express ??
« on: September 18, 2011, »
Trying to scrumb through the extensive wiki on what type of items to get but with all the abbreviations and the wording not sure exactly what to really get to get a DMX style setup correct.

What im buying is (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login )

looks really awesome

Channel setup 480 to 494 with ( 5 DMX Modules )  it has 5 arms and 3 channels for RGB .

but im not sure what type of board i can use for that amount of channels (i read that 510 channels is the max you can use with a DMX universe ) but im not sure if the MR16 or the Lynx USB dongle or the Lynx Express can support 512 channels or if it is the right Thingsi need to get it fully working

But i dont have any usb to dmx or anything YET ..

BUT i also do NOT have a Address programmer for the DMX modules

Offline ritztech

Re: New into DMX RGB world DMX Dongle ?? Express ??
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, »
hopefully its not to late in the game to grab what i need to get this star running .... ;)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, »
Hi ritztech,

First DMX is 512 channels per universe. Do you need RGB controllers or AC controllers?
RGB controllers = Red Green Blue leds in one unit (node) to create just about any color
AC controllers = normal indecent lights (mini lights, c7, c9 etc) and single color led light strings design for AC usage (i.e.: plug then in a outlet)

If you want RGB then look at the SS (smart string) controllers, hubs, dongle. Pixelnet (SS) will give you 4096 channels per universe

The Lynx USB dongle can be programmed for either dmx or pixelnet. In the wiki is a list of members who will help you program the pic (micro controllers) if you don't have a pickit3. But most members will tell you to get on if you plan on going the SS way.

I hope that helps some. Please ask more and any questions you have.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline ritztech

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, »
So my current setup is i have 4 Renard24SS controllers for just regular non DMX style to vixen....

IM now venturing into Basic RGB  Not pixel based JUST a set of strings. like 10 RGB LEDS on just 3 channels per string :)

i understand i need to somehow control the signal on 1 Cat 5 that is White / orange Pair (1,2)  do i daisy chain say 20 different strings with DMX address programmed ?

I already have a pickit3 and used it successfully on 12 16f688 for the renard ss route(micro controllers)

Not sure if i need the DMX Dongle and if i do Can that 1 dongle support 512 Channels ? and i just daisychain all my Cables ??

Thanks rrowan :)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, »

Not sure if i need the DMX Dongle and if i do Can that 1 dongle support 512 Channels ? and i just daisychain all my Cables ??

Thanks rrowan :)

Yes one dongle will do all 512 channels. A lynx express (LE) will do 16 AC channels and has 2 dmx outputs if using cat5. Each LE you set the start address and they can be in any order in the cat5 layout.

Sorry I don't know anything about the regard controllers. Also just for your information the SS system at this time controls each node of the RGB string (it does have different modes (string mode  - uses 3 channels, pixel mode - each node uses 3 channels, hybrid mode - combine string mode and pixel node so 3 channels for the whole string plus 3 channels per node in that string).

hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, »
Just to clarify a few points.  For DMX-controlled lighting, you will need a DMX dongle (RJ's, RPM's, Enttec, etc.) for each 512 channels.  This connects to your computer via a USB (or Ethernet in some newer ones) and generates the DMX signal.  This signal is daisy chained from controller to contoller; there are special splitters that can be used if you need to split off a branch or need many controlers.  RJ also has a wireless DMX option.

Each controller will take in a DMX signal and control some number of channels of lights.  The ones in the Corostar handles three channels.  The Lynx Express handles 16.

You need to set the start address on each controller so they know which of the 512 channels they should be responding to.  The 3-channel controllers use a special programmer to do this; the Lynx Express is set using buttons on the unit.

The Renards connect to the serial port on your PC and speak a different protocol, not DMX (though I believe that there's DMX firmware available for them).

/mike

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, »
... there are special splitters that can be used if you need to split off a branch or need many controlers. ...

Every Lynx Express has a built in splitter. There is a DMX In (self explanatory), then there is a DMX Out. But, there is a DMX Out 2. It uses another RS485 chip to continue to signal to another chain of controllers.

So, if you have only one or two Lynx Expresses :( you could strategically place them to reduce long runs of CAT5. If you have lots of them :) then you can branch out anywhere that is convenient.

Offline dmoore

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, »
ritztech -

What you need is a "dongle" - it can be RJ's dongle, a Enttec Pro or if you are using vixen or lightshow pro it could be a J1SYS unit (maybe a little more complex than you'd want right now).  This dongle would output standard DMX which the CoroFlakes, using the 3 channel DMX controllers, would work with.  I'm not sure about the Rendard items, I thought they used a "version" of DMX that differed from E1.11.