Author Topic: Programming Dongle PIC  (Read 2270 times)

Offline jeffcoast

Programming Dongle PIC
« on: September 20, 2011, »
I am not sure what I did with it, but somehow I have lost my adapter I got to program my PICs, specifically the Dongle. I still have the Pickit3 just not the adapter. Rather than get another one, is it possible to put the PIC in another device that has the icsp header, or are the pinouts different and it wouldn't connect to the right pins? I have an LE and a SS hub and controller as my options. I was thinking I could put the chips in, and program then, then pull them out and put them in my new dongle, but didn't want to damage them and wasn't sure where to look up the information.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline pk

• Patron Member
Re: Programming Dongle PIC
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, »
Jeff -

You can use the Barebones version found here.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

I used it to program the PIC for my Dongle and it worked fine. 

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, »
RJ could say for sure, but I believe the supply voltage on the PIC18 (dongle) is 5v and on the PIC 24 (SS Hub and LE) is 3.3V. So even if the pinout is the same, the voltage difference might be an issue.

-Mike

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, »
The Dongle uses a different PIC than the Express or SS Hub and they have a different pin out. So, using the Express or Hub to program the Dongle PIC will not work.

If you have a breadboard or some way to make the connections to the PIC, you can use the circuit that pk pointed out to program the PIC without an adapter.

The pin out for the Dongle is here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The pin out for the Express or Hub is here:

-Rick
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, by rmp2917 »

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, »
RJ could say for sure, but I believe the supply voltage on the PIC18 (dongle) is 5v and on the PIC 24 (SS Hub and LE) is 3.3V. So even if the pinout is the same, the voltage difference might be an issue.

-Mike
I didn't think you had to power up the controller to program the chip, and that you shouldn't. I know I have never plugged in the devices I have had to program so far and it gets the power from the pickit3.

And I do not have a breadboard, but could go buy one if it isn't all that expensive.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, »
I didn't think you had to power up the controller to program the chip, and that you shouldn't. I know I have never plugged in the devices I have had to program so far and it gets the power from the pickit3.

And I do not have a breadboard, but could go buy one if it isn't all that expensive.

Yes, that is correct, the PICKIT will provide the power to program the chip.  I was just concerned about feeding a voltage into the SS Hub or LE board (from the PICKIT) that it wasn't expecting.  Probably wouldn't have harmed anything, but wasn't sure.  In any case, the point is moot as Rick has indicated that the PIC's have different pinouts.

-Mike

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, »
rather than a breadboard you can get a socket and an appropriate size piece of prototyping board and build the bare bones programmer on that.