Author Topic: Lynx wireless security  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Lynx wireless security
« on: September 20, 2011, »
How is the wireless implemented?  Is it a 802.11 solution?

What about security, does it implement WEP, WAP, or WAP2?  For ease of deployment I will guess that these are not implemented, which brings me to the next questions:

What protections are in place to prevent someone from hacking into my Lynx wireless network? 

Do I have to be concerned with neighbors using the same system and interfering with my setup?

Thanks for the answers!!
Steve

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

Re: Lynx wireless security
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, »
I think that you are making much more out of this than their needs to be.  What possible need would their be to set up security for lighting up Christmas lights?  RJ uses a proprietary transmission to communicate between the transmitter and the receiver.  It has three channels to help prevent interference between neighbors using the same system but it's not fool proof.  If someone intentionally wanted to disrupt your show, there is little that you to prevent it when any type of wireless is involved.. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, »
Agreed,

You are worrying about something that you need not worry about.  The wireless connection is from your USB dongle to the wireless transmitter, which is in turn received by your wireless receivers on your LYNX equipment.  All you are transmitting is DMX data, there is no connection back into your home IP based wireless network.  I don't think there is much to worry about from an interference standpoint either.  But, if you experience any glitching, just change to another of the 3 channel options.

I live in a neighborhood with a lot of wireless access points in close proximity to my house and I do not have any issues with interference.

Ron

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, »
ok.  i see.  thanks for the response!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, »
The wireless is implemented as a custom protocol using an 802.15 transceiver.  While it is in the same radio spectrum as 802.11, they won't talk to each other. 
/mike