Author Topic: Programming the PIC, what do I need  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Programming the PIC, what do I need
« on: September 21, 2011, »
I saw that there are people in the group that can program PIC upon request, and I also saw that there was mention of a "$35 pickit2".

I'm thinking that the investment in getting this will pay off later.

Can someone point me in the direction to obtain the necessary pieces to become self-sufficient with programming or updating the needed pieces of the Lynx family?

Thanks!
Steve
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline gophergrove

Re: Programming the PIC, what do I need
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, »
Many of us on the board use the Pickit 3 from j1sys - link below.  It is a bit more than $35 but no issues with the vendor or use of the pickit.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, »
In another thread I find a different unit being offered for less, from the same vendor:

ICSP Adapter ZIF 28 pin PIC w/ PICkitâ„¢ 3 USB Programmer

ICSP Adapter ZIF Kit PIC w/ PICkitâ„¢ 3 USB Programmer

Will the Lynx offerings ONLY need 28-pin, or will there be a need for 14, 20, and 40 pin programming as well?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, »
I think I might be able to sign up to be the Austin-area PIC programmer for DLA list. :)

Would someone be able to do a walk-through to help the first couple times?  ...I don't know how tolerant of mistakes that this setup can be.

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, »
Steve
As a newbie, I bought the package from J1Sys.  Fast turnaround and everything needed to program a board is included.

I have 12 SSC's programmed and ready 1 PixelHub ready and programmed and due to a bad USB Chipset, awaiting parts, I did have the USB Dongle programmed and ready.

The link is
as stated above.

And what I found is in the research is ISCP Adapters where attached to the hub and the SSC's so I just got the programmer Pickit 3 and the ISCP28.

And was ready to go.

The Dongle used the ISCP Adapter and I just plugged in the Pickit 3 to the ISCP Adapters on the Hubs and controllers.

Ordered from J1Sys on Thursday and it was here on Saturday.

Kevin

Offline doubleeaz

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, »
PICkit 2 is available from microchipdirect.com for $34.99.

PICkit 3 is available from microchipdirect.com for $44.99.

Both program most every part from Microchip.  PICkit 3 is faster and is the latest low cost programmer from Microchip.

Offline keithr

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, »
Steve LMK when you have the Pick I could use one on my boards. I live North of Austin

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, »
I have it, but I haven't gotten to the step of using it yet.
I'm hoping to assemble some kits over the weekend (after I finish my builds of my CoroFlakes and CoroStar).
Maybe by next weekend I will be ready for business (so to speak) and I can ask to get my name added as the Austin-area contact to do programming.

I'll send you a PM when I'm ready.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, »
PICkit 2 is available from microchipdirect.com for $34.99.

PICkit 3 is available from microchipdirect.com for $44.99.

Both program most every part from Microchip.  PICkit 3 is faster and is the latest low cost programmer from Microchip.

I do not recommend anyone purchase a pickit 2 at this point. The pickit 3 is required for the etherdongle and likely will be for future items.

RJ
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, »

I do not recommend anyone purchase a pickit 2 at this point. The pickit is required for the etherdongle and likely will be for future items.

RJ

Did you mean to say Pickit 3.  In that case I will need to put that in my budget planning.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, »
The pic kit 2 cant handle new chips they are coming out with like the pic 3 can. So yea hes recommending the pic 3.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, »
also note besides requiring  the pickit 3, all of the new boards have the headers on them for programming so you don't need the breakout boards.....  just something to think about....

we might think about updating the wiki and adding if pickit3 is avail for that person donating the programming time....

Myk
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, by mykroft »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, »
also, before you sign yourself up for being the "guy that can flash the pic" make sure you can use your programmer a few times, and read and write with it as well aas verify.

also, make sure you can properly setup the zif sockets (if purchasing the j1sys boards)
for example, one of the boards takes two different sized pics, but pin1 for each size isn't in the same place.

if you get the authentic pickit 3, then others can help you, b/c we should have the same item. If you get a pickit "clone" we may not be able to help you as well, since there are many versions that don't exactly work the same. also the "redneck's programmer" does not work for all pic's in all pin packages (number of pins on the chip)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, »
As noted above the pic kit 3 and the boards supplied from j1sys is a good deal. That is what i got. Once i figured out how to do it, it was not hard at all to do.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, »
The Pickit should be an essential element in everyone's toolbox, just like a soldering iron and a wire cutter.  I do not think there is any question as to the need to have a pickit on hand for everyone.  For example, if you have no pickit you cannot switch your Smart String Controllers between run and test mode.  If a PIC fails and need to be reflashed or just needs an update as the wireless devices did last year you need to have a pickit and not wait while you mail or drive or whatever to have someone else do this.  Buying an offbrand to save a little money, IMHO, is wasting your time on something that is rounding error on the total cost of your display.  There is lots of help for the pickit on the forum, but basically none for off brand.  You get what you pay for.  Just my 2 cents.  I also do not see a problem buying all the adapters, again we are not talking a lot of money here and you never know what other devices will show up and what PIC they will use.  For what you would pay for another adapter down the road is going to be almost as much in shipping costs as just getting all the adapter now.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA