Author Topic: xLights Demo by Matt Brown  (Read 2716 times)

Offline dmoore

xLights Demo by Matt Brown
« on: September 26, 2011, »
Here is video of Matt Brown's demo of xLights  Sorry the video on the projection didn't come out correctly but some might find value in the discussion and questions surrounding xLights:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The best part - Matt is adding DMX Open support, so now you can use a simple $20 USB->485 cable to output your DMX - a cheap way to get started with simple DMX or if you are transitioning from the LOR world into the "open" world that includes the Lynx controllers:

Offline rm357

Re: xLights Demo by Matt Brown
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, »
The open DMX adapter relies on the host computer for the DMX data stream generation. Due to the way windows works, you will most likely have glitchy performance...

The dongle has an internal processor to generate the data stream, which gives you more stable performance.

The ether dongle moves us away from the com port interface and provides more channel capability

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, »
RM {rowan, remove unneeded content} .... but it is another option ... and I know David and I both tell EVERYONE over and over again DON'T RUN A SHOW on a open dongle ... but boy it is nice to have for testing and a cheap option to have a few spares in the event something blows up.

The open DMX adapter relies on the host computer for the DMX data stream generation. Due to the way windows works, you will most likely have glitchy performance...

The dongle has an internal processor to generate the data stream, which gives you more stable performance.

Yep but for testing works very well on a bench

The ether dongle moves us away from the com port interface and provides more channel capability
[/quote]

Yep - If you look at David display he was running E1.31 LAST year due to his channel counts but again the thing to take away from this is OPTIONS.

Harrison

rrowan, removed content that is not the DLA way
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, by rrowan »

Offline rm357

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, »
I too have an Open DMX adapter that I have used for testing, but I don't plan to run my show on it...

It's a good device, especially for low channel counts, but I just want to make sure anyone planning to go that route knows that there is a chance they will experience glitches. There are a lot of new folks in the DLA and they may not be aware of the device's limitations.

Before I found DLA, I had purchased the open DMX adapter and two 4 channel dimmer packs and realized that I just couldn't do what I wanted with only 8 channels. My first year was more than 70 channels.

RM
Robert

Offline dmoore

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, »
The limit isn't the dongle, according to Matt when I talked with him being that you only need 250k for a full universe of DMX.  The limit should be in the software side.  Being more of a "show me" person, I'll wait and see if I have any problems running a full universe over this adapter.

Offline rm357

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, »
You've got to understand what is going on with the hardware and how windows handles interrupts and buffereing to see where the problem is. On a fast enough machine, you may never see an issue. On a slower machine, windows itself and the buffereing in the hardware is the problem.

To give an example, I have an i7, quad-core hyperthreading laptop. With that much power, i should never see stickyness in the mouse or delays between pressing keys on the keyboard and them appearing on screen. The laptop came with a poorly behaved application running in the background, which at times would hog up a lot of resources and make the user interface perform as described above. Now that that program has been removed, I don't see these issues.

That interference with the keyboard an mouse will happen with the serial port as well as it is not one of the higher priority system interrupts. On a display, you will be able to see it... Of course, the spectators might not notice, but you will.

The Open DMX adapter relies on windows for both data and timing. The Lynx Dongle and more expensive DMX adapters have larger hardware buffers and internal processors to isolate the output generation from the limitations of wiindows.
Robert

Offline dmoore

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, »
The Open DMX adapter relies on windows for both data and timing. The Lynx Dongle and more expensive DMX adapters have larger hardware buffers and internal processors to isolate the output generation from the limitations of wiindows.

I completely agree with you on the source of the potential problem.  Given the choice, I'd always go with a "pro" dongle over an "open" dongle.  I'll post some testing results once Matt releases the updated xLights. 

There are a lot of people out there that have LOR networks that just want to add a few channels of DMX to run an element or two and the $20 DMX adapter and free xLights is a perfect combo for those types of people.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, »
...also, there are people who just want to give this a TRY with a small investment.  Once they see it working they will become more comfortable and will make a better choice.  But if they just want to connect a single corostar, then a low-cost, low-pain solution will make it easier to get the feet wet.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro