Author Topic: (EX/RX)Ver 2 to cat5 cable  (Read 4212 times)

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
(EX/RX)Ver 2 to cat5 cable
« on: September 30, 2011, »
Is there a way to hookup a EX/RX Ver 2, so it could output on a cat 5 cable without being intalled in a lynx express?

Offline tbone321

Re: (EX/RX)Ver 2 to cat5 cable
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, »
The short easy answer is no. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, »
yea i was affraid of that.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, »
What are you trying to accomplish?

I successfully used an EX/RX to output to several different types of Renard Controllers by pulling the input RS485 chip and using the mod below.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, »
I don't believe that is what he is trying to do.  From what he said it looks like he is trying to convert an EX/RX unit into a standalone receiver with a CAT5 output. 

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, »
I mean i bet it could be done, just tap into my electronics knowledge and add a 485 chip on a board and a transformer and power regulator for the chip and the receiver unit.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, »
I mean i bet it could be done, just tap into my electronics knowledge and add a 485 chip on a board and a transformer and power regulator for the chip and the receiver unit.

It has been done, It is called an TX/RX with the jumper set on the RX mode. That is exactly what it is.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, »

That is why I said the EASY answer is no.  I'm not sure if the firmware is different and you could possibly add the missing components but to me the cost and effort simply isn't worth the trouble when the stand alone version already exists.

Offline barbotte

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, »

It has been done, It is called an TX/RX with the jumper set on the RX mode. That is exactly what it is.

RJ
quick question on that as i have not succeed yet ... does the cat 5 cable end  need to be special or can i take any cat 5 cable
i do have 6 LE wireless going and i am trying to used the TX?RX on another dmx board like the ren 48 lsd ...
thanks

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, »
A standard cat5 should work

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline barbotte

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, »
i dont get it .. i used a LE with a cat 5 to the ren 48 and it work ( had to mod a cat 5 cable)
try with the TX/RX and nothing is there a setting in vixen i need to do ???  or with the jumper onboard ??
thank

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, »
if you are using EX/RX with a LE then you have to use output 2 since there is nothing on output 1

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, »
i dont get it .. i used a LE with a cat 5 to the ren 48 and it work ( had to mod a cat 5 cable)
try with the TX/RX and nothing is there a setting in vixen i need to do ???  or with the jumper onboard ??
thank

Barbotte,

There are no special settings in Vixen, the same settings that worked for the wired setup will work for the wireless.

The same cable out of the LE should also work for out of the TX/RX into the Ren 48.

Just to make sure you should have these items: dongle -> TX/RX ** wireless over the air ** TX/RX -> modified Ren Cable -> Ren 48

You already have the DMX Ren firmware installed otherwise your Ren 48 would not have worked with the output from the LE. You also know your modified DMX to Ren cable works too.

Maybe a problem with one of your TX/RX?

By the way for Halloween this year I ran a TX/RX wireless to a modified EX/RX into my Ren 48. This method doesn't require a special cable because it feeds the data directly into U5 where the RS485 chip goes.

Brian
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login