Hardware > Lynx EtherDongle

Does powered Cat5 come out of the 16-port Active Hub?

(1/5) > >>

Steve Gase:
As I've interpreted things up to this point...

* the USB dongle does not supply power to lights over the cat5
* the EtherDongle does not supply power to the lights over the cat5
* if you want power over cat5 you use a passive 4-port to place power onto the outgoing cat5 connectors
What about the 16-port active hub?  It does pass power over the pixel net, but does it ALSO put 12V power to the outgoing DMX connector?  If not, could I use a jumper to pass power to the outgoing DMX cat5 pins?

Are there any problems with having power on the cat5 coming into a passive 4-port hub, such that the 4-port replaces the outgoing power with that arriving from the new supply?

I am sure that there is better terminology to describe this... does my question make sense?

Thanks!

rrowan:
Yes the 16 port active hub supplies power to the SSCs. It does not send 12v to the output connectors (pixelnet, dmx)

The 4 port hub does not get power from the input cat5 but outputs power to the 4 output plugs from a separate 12volt connector on board

Rick R.

Steve Gase:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginIt does not send 12v to the output connectors (pixelnet, dmx)
--- End quote ---
Can you think of a reason why a mod/jumper to bring power over to the DMX would be inadvisable?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginThe 4 port hub does not get power from the input cat5 but outputs power to the 4 output plugs from a separate 12volt connector on board
--- End quote ---
...and if power came in on the cat5, would it be discarded so that the new power on the 12v connector would be use on the outgoing?  -- just looking to see if I need to remove power from a powered DXM cat5 before using a hub.

rrowan:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginIt does not send 12v to the output connectors (pixelnet, dmx)
--- End quote ---
Can you think of a reason why a mod/jumper to bring power over to the DMX would be inadvisable?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginThe 4 port hub does not get power from the input cat5 but outputs power to the 4 output plugs from a separate 12volt connector on board
--- End quote ---
...and if power came in on the cat5, would it be discarded so that the new power on the 12v connector would be use on the outgoing?  -- just looking to see if I need to remove power from a powered DXM cat5 before using a hub.

--- End quote ---

The power pin of the rj-45 jack are not connected to the circuit on the pcb. So if there is power there, it never sees it.
The lynx dmx devices don't use any power from the cat5 cable since there would be a chance of drawing more power than the tiny wires inside the cat5 cable could handle.

Rick R.

wbuehler:
Let's make sure we are editing posts that do not belong to you.

Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version