Author Topic: DIY Smart String?  (Read 1815 times)

Offline soakes94

DIY Smart String?
« on: October 02, 2011, »
I was wondering if someone could tell me if this would even be possible, I have made some strings using RGB LED's and ping pong balls. The LED's are inside the ping pong balls to diffuse the light and I have 12 LED's on each string. I am able to control each color individually and the first 6 and last 6 desperately. So 6 channels per string, red for the top and bottom, green for the top and bottom and blue for the top and bottom.

While it gives a nice effect and looks great I was wondering if it would be possible to install the IC's that are used in smart strings inside the ping pong balls. That way I could control each ping pong ball individually. I would just buy the strips or strings but I've already starting making my strings and would rather try changing them.

Is it possible?

Thanks Steve

Offline tbone321

Re: DIY Smart String?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, »
The problem is that it's more than just the IC.  It's the IC, its support circuitry, a board to mount it all on as well as the LED's.  I would bet that it would cost more to make them yourself then it would just to by the pixels.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline soakes94

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, »
Thats fine with all of the boards and stuff, I was just really after a price for everything, to see if its worth it. I have no idea what ics im looking for or where to even get them haha.

cheers
stephen

Offline SGInut

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, »
The cheapest way is to just purchase a string of pre-made.  You'll be hard pressed to find just the parts needed cheaper.