Author Topic: Multiple EtherDongle same network  (Read 2224 times)

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
Multiple EtherDongle same network
« on: October 03, 2011, »
Thinking about my setup this morning - can you run multiple EtherDongle on the same network running DIFFERENT shows?  Since it is multicast ... I may just be missing something here.

Harrison

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Multiple EtherDongle same network
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, »
Explain what you are doing?  Do you mean two totally seperate seqences with duplicate channels?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Explain what you are doing?  Do you mean two totally seperate seqences with duplicate channels?

RJ

Thought is 2 different shows - 1 network.  2 show systems, 2 EtherDongle.

If we want to get geekie - My show (Location A) - My neighbors show (Location B) but are the same network (same subnet - broadcast domain). 

The simple / easy fix is use different pixelnet universe (My show 1 & 2 - neighbors 3 & 4) but as I grow .... this is where the conductor and slave will do well.

Harrison

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, »
As long as each has its own IP then I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Although, maybe you and your neighbor could work your shows together, like Jim is doing.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, »
As long as each has its own IP then I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Although, maybe you and your neighbor could work your shows together, like Jim is doing.

E1.31 is multicast so the ip does not matter. anything in the same broadcast domain will see the data.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, »

RJ

Thought is 2 different shows - 1 network.  2 show systems, 2 EtherDongle.

If we want to get geekie - My show (Location A) - My neighbors show (Location B) but are the same network (same subnet - broadcast domain). 

The simple / easy fix is use different pixelnet universe (My show 1 & 2 - neighbors 3 & 4) but as I grow .... this is where the conductor and slave will do well.

Harrison

you can have two dongle feed by the same E1.31 stream. You can not have two software packages sending out the same E1.31 universes. Does this make sense?

Edongle #1 uses e1.31 universe #1 - #32
Edongle #2 uses e1.31 universe #33 - #64

but there can only be one software making he e1.31 on the domain or you will overlap universe data and make a mess.

you can have two Edongle #1's if you want to do say 8000 channels on your show and 8000 across the street. you use Edongle #1 firmware on both and they see the same stream of channels and output it the same on both sides. you set your show up so channels 1 - 8000 is your side and 8001 - 16000 is the other side.

Hope this is what you want to know.

RJ

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, »
Yep Thanks RJ - just wanted to make sure I got it right.  Sounds like best practice may be create a "show" network.

Harrison