Author Topic: network use of the EtherDongle.  (Read 3639 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
network use of the EtherDongle.
« on: October 04, 2011, »
just to get a clear answer...

A.) Does the computer communicate with the EtherDongle via a normal computer data network? IP4 (or IP6)

B.) If the answer is yes, can the EtherDongle receive it's data from the computer via a wireless network (G, or even N), or is bandwidth an issue?

C.) can multiple EtherDongles reside on the same network while being able to control different channels?

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: network use of the EtherDongle.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, »

a - unsure or doesn't apply - e.131 is a multicast protocol that gets broadcast over your network and the etherdongle "listens" for the info it needs to work.

b - yes - large number of data can always be a bandwidth issue

c - yes

clear as mud?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, »
so...

A.) the EtherDongle sits on a computer network and waits to "listen" for something sent to it.

A1.) with the device using multicast, would it be recommended to NOT use the same network that I would use to, for example, access the internet?

B.) if it's possible to receive data from the computer via a wireless router, could I run my EtherDongle outside to have my pixelnet Not physically wired to the computer? (for example across the street, as long as I had good wireless signal?

murky water, but not mud :  )

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, »
 a - yes

a1 - unless someone can figure out how to hack your network and send out e1.31 info the etherdongle would ignore anything else

b - yes but I don't know how reliable it would be, better wait for the conductor/slave boards to hugely cut down the bandwidth require to run a remote show

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, »
A1.) I just meant, would running a multicast effect other network traffic, (like streaming video, downloading a file, etc.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, »
A1.) I just meant, would running a multicast effect other network traffic, (like streaming video, downloading a file, etc.

does steaming video / dl files currently effect the bandwidth of your network?

I personally would not stream video while doing a large light show

there is only so much bandwidth available, so everything will effect the bandwidth and either slow things down or cause other problems

Rick R.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, »
Well, if i'm running a show for a couple hours each night during christmas season. I don't want to limit my ability to go online and do stuff based on a light show, So i'd want to have my show computer on a seperate "etherdongle network" so i can still do stuff during christmas.  : )

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, »
Well, if i'm running a show for a couple hours each night during christmas season. I don't want to limit my ability to go online and do stuff based on a light show, So i'd want to have my show computer on a seperate "etherdongle network" so i can still do stuff during christmas.  : )

See now you are just being silly. After spending all of that money and hours of work for a light show why in the world would you want to surf the web during your show. You need to be outside staring out it and marvel at your handy work.

btw: Everyone, just kidding

Rick R.

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, »
I think the BEST tip is setup a 2nd network JUST for your light show ... 2nd nic is ~$30 or you may all ready have one on your system.  I know I plan on using my wired NIC on my system for the show and wireless is my way into it.

Also a good point to remind people of overlapping WiFi signals .... I know this is a HUGE issue in my area.  I talked to RJ about this at the Acadamy and he doesn't have this issue as much.  But with 802.11 standard only having 3 non overlapping signals (1,6,11) becomes tough in a typical neighborhood to not interfere with SOMEONE.  I know a LOT of the WiFi issues I have troubleshoot 9Nribours, family, friends) have been related to this.  overlapping with another close / strong signal can effice range and speed .... SO well worth looking into do and doing a site survey - especially if you are setting up a 2nd WiFi network.

Harrison

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, »
not to mention, a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone can interfere with wireless G, so it's not limited to just computer equipment either.

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, »
not to mention, a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone can interfere with wireless G, so it's not limited to just computer equipment either.

Yep - I went through 6 baby monitors before I found one I like with less interference - always went old school and hardwire one or use a cell phone.

Harrison