Author Topic: First Aethers done...FINALLY  (Read 2558 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
First Aethers done...FINALLY
« on: October 04, 2011, »
Well thanks to one generous member (thank you again bisquit476) I was able to finish my original Aether 1's tonight.  Not too bad of a build although my "cooking" didn't seem to go the best so I touched up everything with the iron.  I also seemed to err on the side of not enough paste and some of the components looked a little light on the solder so I added more at the same time. 

Couple of things I ran into.  First, the diagnostic firmware in the wiki did not work.  I think it was an earlier version.  I finally found a version in a forum posting that worked.  I would update it, but I can barely edit text in the wiki so I will leave that up to someone more qualified.

Also, it might be beneficial to note what the diagnostic firmware does.  I had a hard time finding and understanding what it does and how to use it...especially when the one in the wiki didn't work.  I didn't know if I needed to hook it up to the dongle, work in Vixen, etc. to make it work.  BTW, it should cycle through all three colors continuously by itself with only power applied and does not have to be hooked up to a DMX signal.

Anyway, both of my Aethers had all 6 LED's cycle through red, green, and blue so I assume I am good to go.  Nice bright lights.

-Keith

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Re: First Aethers done...FINALLY
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, »
Congratulations Keith!  You waited even longer then I did to put it together.  It is a little different assembly then an Express.  But a new learning experience.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, »
Glad I could help Keith, didn't know if it was still good, but my wife sure is happy it's gone out of the fridge. ;D

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
One more question.  I am going wireless with my Aethers and having trouble understanding how to hook it up.  I have seen info on hooking it up like the other mods for the SSR4, etc. by replacing the 485 chip with the pin connector (8-pin DIP header (Mouser PN# 535-08-600-10, Digikey A101-ND)), but then what are the connections on the back of the board for?  I assumed you solder directly to those points and didn't worry about the 8-pin DIP connector, but now am not sure.   ???  Do you do both?  Is it one or the other?  Can someone clarify this for me?

TIA,
-Keith

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
One more question.  I am going wireless with my Aethers and having trouble understanding how to hook it up.  I have seen info on hooking it up like the other mods for the SSR4, etc. by replacing the 485 chip with the pin connector (8-pin DIP header (Mouser PN# 535-08-600-10, Digikey A101-ND)), but then what are the connections on the back of the board for?  I assumed you solder directly to those points and didn't worry about the 8-pin DIP connector, but now am not sure.   ???  Do you do both?  Is it one or the other?  Can someone clarify this for me?

TIA,
-Keith

I used the holes on the board and attached a 3 pin disconnect cable.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, »
So the cable goes to the EX/RX.  There is no need to remove the 485 chip and you just move the jumper from cable to wireless.  Basically like the Express works...just no built-in headers.  Is all that correct?

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, »
That is correct.  The trick with the DIP header is to add wireless to a board that doesn't already support it, like the SSR4 or MR16
/mike

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, »
OK, that's what I was thinking but the conflicting information in another thread confused me.

Thanks all,
-Keith

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, »
One more last (I hope) question.  For the wireless connection, the board is labeled -. +, & D.  There is nothing like that on the EX/RX nor in the info in the wiki that I can find.  What do the connections on the Aether board connect to on the EX/RX?

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, »
Look at this post, it should help,

Bill

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, »
AHHHHHHH.  Excellent.  Missed that posting.  Thanks!

-Keith