Author Topic: Data Out From Cut Flex Strip  (Read 2465 times)

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
Data Out From Cut Flex Strip
« on: October 04, 2011, »
Has anyone successfully been able to get data OUT of a cut flex strip?

I successfully used RJ's technique of bridging the diode pads to get cut flex strips to work, however I am trying to get data out of the cut end of a flex strip and into the input side of a cut flex strip with a 3 pin connector in between. (so that I can disassemble them easier at the end of the year).  Both cut strips work fine if they have the diode pads bridge and are connected directly to the SSC, however if I connect the second strip to the first I haven't had any luck getting the second strip to work.  I am getting 11.8V out of the cut end of the first strip, but I am not immediately sure of a way to test the data out from the cut strip to make sure it is feeding the second strip other than knowing that the 2nd strip isn't responding.

I'm using the test firmware, so that rules out any channel / SSC programming issues.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, by cBell »
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
Re: Data Out From Cut Flex Strip
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, »
OK, I think I found what's causing this, but I'm not quite sure how I'm going to remedy it just yet.  On every three light section of flex strip that is not an end point (indicated by a black arrow going right), the DOUT pin of the 1809 chip goes to one of the two small traces on the back of the strip (the one nearest the V+ Pad side of the strip).  That trace goes across the cutting point (where the two sets of pads are) to the next set of three lights.  It then comes back to the left (assuming the input side is on the left) and feeds the DOUT pad AND the DIN Pad.  See attached pictures for more details.  Seems pretty silly if you ask me.

I came up with two possible solutions, but I'm not sure which is best, perhaps someone has a better idea :)

1) Scrape away the trace on the backside of the strip and get my DOUT from there
2) Try to solder directly to the DOUT pin on the chip.

I was trying to come up with a more creative way to keep the trace and pads intact, but every way I try, I either lose the ability to get data out, or lose the ability to put data in on the next set of strips.
-Chris

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, »
I never went any farther than figuring out how to cut them and make them work. Did not see this issue. It is kind of dumb if you ask me to have a cut spot that does not work.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, »
As a follow up to this, the best way I found to correct this problem was to make sure that any strip that was going to be an end point where I needed DOUT, ended on a pre-soldered joint (has a black arrow pointing to the right).  You can make them get input anywhere, but output is best found at a pre-made end.
-Chris

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As a follow up to this, the best way I found to correct this problem was to make sure that any strip that was going to be an end point where I needed DOUT, ended on a pre-soldered joint (has a black arrow pointing to the right).  You can make them get input anywhere, but output is best found at a pre-made end.
How often does the DOUT occur? Since I won't need 14 feet long strips I was going to use the excess to make new strips.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, »
Ray's newer TM1812 flex strip which is 4 leds per section instead of 3, will actually let you cut on any 4 led section and not have a problem with input after the cut.  The 1809 needs to be cut every 10 3 led sections (were you see them soldered together) so not have input problems.  The 1812 version with current firmware supports the 1809 flex strings as far as same data mode, speed and RGB color orientation.  Ray only had them in 5M lengths but we informed him non of the DLA members would prob order at that length, so he added a 4M version as well.  I have 12 more to order of the 1809 kind (to complete tree with same kind of strips), then will be going straight 1812 version from there on out so they can be cut at any joint.

Big question about the 4M 1812 is it has 8 extra leds that cant be used.  Can the SSC handle the 8 extra leds and still be safe?  If yes, then we need to get RJ to update the SSC program util to allow 128 on the flex strips.....

Myk

Offline keitha43

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, »
Thanks

Offline keitha43

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, »
Hmmmm I can't seem to find the TM1812 in Ray's store.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, »

Look at this thread for more info You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, »

Look at this thread for more info You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That discussion did not have links to the TM1812 flexible strips.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, »

if you are going to cut alot, 2nd link is 1M more for only $3

Remember these are 32 led per M vs 30 led per M on the wiki listed ones.

If RJ thinks these are ok and updates the flex to 128 nodes approved, then you can use the whole 4M string

hm... ok looking at the SSC programming util - it looks like it will let you set 128 for the flex, but that would be at the users own risk - guess I will have to try it when I get home.

Myk
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, by mykroft »

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, »
Quote from Ray,

"the tm1809 strip can be cut now, please see the below link, we updated the PCB,and re-designed it".