Author Topic: 4 channel DMX DC module  (Read 3680 times)

Offline rrawlings

4 channel DMX DC module
« on: October 07, 2011, »
I am toying with some new all in one RS485, and 4 channel DC dimmer IC's.  They are from MY Semi..The two components I am playing with are the MY9941 and MY9942.  If this an appropriate topic let me know, I do not want to run afoul of the rules here, I am new and enjoy this stuff way to much to get blackballed.  The only problem for the average DIY member and these two IC's is they are fine pitch surface mount ICs.  The real cool part of these two components is they have the RS485 chip and the controller all in one chip, can be driven 5 to 40 VDC.  Anybody interested in more info contact me.

Offline jess_her

Re: 4 channel DMX DC module
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, »
That's cool went out and saw some utube applications  I think this has great potential
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline rrawlings

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, »
Ok, I am closer to actually going ahead with this design and build.  The chips seem just about bulletproof.  This could be a 4 channel version of the MR16, kind of an MR4 for lack of a better name.  It would be a similar situation to the ether dongle in that the IC is surface mount and would need to be professionally mounted for the majority of the group.  I know I cannot run a coop on this and would like someone else to run it if this project has any legs.  What I would like to know is, is there any need or desire for anyone to have a directly addressable DMX module with say 3 5050 RGB LEDs on it or a module similar to the ones sold with the Coro projects that could drive a DC load?  I am preparing to design the boards for my application, but if there is input from anyone here that would help guide what I come up with it would be great.  Input would be appreciated.

Offline steve_hirst

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, »
 mrpackethead had a project going with that chip. it started on the Aussie forum and then moved to dec1.org. I have also seen it on diyc. I think it was finally called the 34 and 44. it started as the $3 4 channel controller. there was a layout of the controller somewhare and if I can find it I'll pm it to you.

Offline rrawlings

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, »
I have seen his layouts, I was looking to do it with RG-45 connectors to make it compatible with the stuff on here.  The design he has there is essentially the same thing as on the data sheet for the part with a transistor switch on the output side.  I will select a transistor capable of switching at least 3A and the chip is capable of 40VDC input, very cool single chip cheap solution.  I do not want to be accused of stealing his design, I found the chip through a mfg rep who came to my office and saw the Lynx Express and Dongle on my desk and asked, within a few days I had samples on my desk.  Totally not my area of design at the day job, but in my range of capabilities.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, by rrawlings »

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, »
I think you should proceed.  MPH hasn't updated his designs or info about the board since June.  Not much going on there and a worth design.

Ron

Offline steve_hirst

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, »
I was not trying to say anything about taking his designs. I was just pointing out that he had these chips in a design. actually I would like to get some of the chips for a few design ideas that I had. would you mind pointing me to where to order some of these.