Author Topic: Beyond 4096  (Read 793 times)

Offline mnarel

Beyond 4096
« on: October 08, 2011, »
Looking for some V2 assistance with Smart Strings.   I've built a Halloween web out of smart strings that uses a full 12 128 node strands.   You can only use 10 in a single pixelnet universe, so I've got two hubs, two ATX controllers, two Dmx dongles, running 10 strands from one and 2 from the other.  I've set some basic sequences in LSP v2 but can't get the output to universe 2 (last two strands) to work.   Not sure I've configured properly.

I have the 1st hub set to universe 1, with a dongle (com 6) running 10 strands
I have the 2nd hub with jumpers set to universe 2, a dongle (com 8) trying to run 2 strands
I have the LSP controllers configured on separate com ports in zones 1 and 2 respectively.

Ive set it up with the second hub starting at channel 1 (zone 2), then tried starting at channel 4097 (zone 1 and tried on zone 2)

I have good com through the dongles as I've switched them back and forth and each works fine on the first hub.  I've checked the second hub and it works fine.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.... not even sure if it's a wrong set up on the hub or in LSP.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Re: Beyond 4096
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, »
Are you using 2 seperate cat5 cables to each hub seperate or using a combiner at the dongles and a single cable to the hubs?

if using a combiner then you would daisy chain the hubs with a single cable.

If using 2 seperate cat5 cables, each hub needs to be set a univ 1, because each dongle is sending out the data on the 1st pair in the cable, if you set the 2nd hub to univ 2, its expecting the data comming in on the 2nd pair in the cat5, but the dongles only send data out on the 1st pair

hence the combiner takes 4 pairs of data from the 1st pair and maps to a cat5 cable 1st pair dongle 1 > 1st pair cat5, 1st pair dongle 2 > 2nd pair cat5, 1st pair dongle 3 > 3rd pair cat 5 and 1st pair dongle 4 > 4th pair cat5.

so when you set a hub on univ 2 3 or 4, it is looking for data on that respective pair of the cat5 cable.

Hope that makes sense...

so just keep both hubs on unv 1 if using seperate cat5 cables, but still setup 4097 on the 2nd dongle, the hubs just repeat and sendout whatever data they get, they dont care about what channel number to a degree, its your SSCs that will respond to their set channel numbers etc....

Good luck :)

Myk

Offline mnarel

Re: Beyond 4096
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, »
Worked like a charm... thanks.    For anyone else running into the same issue,  In LSP, the controller configuration needs to be set up on a separate zone for each hub if coming from it's own pixelnet DMX dongle (each of which uses it's own com port), otherwise, LSP sends all the info across one dongle..  Hubs are all set on universe 1 and the channel count for the SSRs just keeps going up  (ie, string 11 starts at 4097, string 12 at 4481. etc).

Think I"ll get an ethernet dongle just to simplify.