Author Topic: EtherDongle Performance  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
EtherDongle Performance
« on: October 08, 2011, »
I was fortunate to be on the beta and have been spending more time sequencing my show using LSP 2.0 and 12 flex strings using transition.  Transitions are cool, but very time consuming to generate.  I switched from my PixelNet dongle to the Etherdongle and wow, what a difference it makes.  My light animations are much smoother and accurate.  The following video shows an example using some standard videos included with LSP 2.0. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The bottom row of LEDs are the rectangle LEDs zip tied to a PVC pipe which I plan to use for arches.  Both the bottom Flex strip and the arch are set to channel 1.

Here is what the Pixel dongle looked like.  Maybe I didn't have all of my com ports set right, but with the Etherdongle, its working extremely well.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thank you RJ!

Offline Rbar

Re: EtherDongle Performance
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, »
These were great; thank you for posting them.
Rbar

Offline sielbear

Re: EtherDongle Performance
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, »
This is really interesting...

There are a couple of discussions on-going about the performance of LSP, particularly the scheduler running rather poorly in comparison to something like xlights.  xlights seems to run the show flawlessly over the lynx dongles. 

It looks like there must be something odd about the way LSP is sending the data streams to the lynx dongles that hinders performance.  With the E1.31 protocol being such a standard at this point, I'm not too surprised to see it getting some love in terms of performance...  Thanks for posting this!!