Author Topic: First sequence from version 2.1 to 2.5  (Read 2572 times)

Offline paulcimn

First sequence from version 2.1 to 2.5
« on: October 19, 2011, »
I did my first sequence last weekend in version 2.1.X.X version of Vixen. When I upgraded to Vixen 2.5.X.X it does not show any of the sequencing that I did... if I open it in 2.1 it shows all...

How should I sabe or copy the sequence so that when opened in 2.5 it will remain complete? Is this possible?

Thanks,

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: First sequence from version 2.1 to 2.5
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, »
Hi Paul

Is there a reason you went to 2.5? KC the programmer of Vixen states that 2.5 is beta and 2.1 is stable

You can run the update program or copy and paste

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline paulcimn

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, »
I saw the BETA note, but the date was in 2009 and I assumed that any issues were probably worked... because it might be a bad assumption, I have no problem going back to a more stable version. I thought that I might be doing something wrong...

I was just sooooo excited that I got my first blinky last night!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, »
I believe (I could be wrong) but KC has stopped all development on the 2.x series of Vixen. He and a group are suppose to be working on ver 3.0. So I don't believe any bugs were taken care of.

btw: Congrats on your first blinky flashy

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline paulcimn

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, »
On a similar note, can you help me find information for how a sequence should look in Vixen to operate a strobe? I have the C7, C9 LED and incan... I have a string with 1 and (2) strings with 2-3 strobes only.

thanks for your help... I will try to undo the 2.5 version when I get home.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, »
For strobes you just turn them on for the length of time that you want them to blink.  They take care of the blinky all by themselves.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, »
I have successfully used 2.5 for the 2009 and 2010 shows and expect to use it this year as well.

While many people had problems with 2.5, others -- like myself -- didn't. It's definitely a YMMV situation. The 2.5 version of the code gives you easier cut-and-paste tools and the ability to put lighting curves on any channel. I needed the latter feature and moved to 2.5 when it came out and haven't had a problem.

\dmc

PS: And Rick is right -- the 2.x series is no longer under development; a new 3.x series is expected as alpha or beta code before we do 2011 tear-downs, but nobody thinks the code will be mature enough to run 2011 Christmas shows.

Offline batdive

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, »
Paul,

To go from 2.1 to 2.5 you have to use the prepare.exe file that will convert your 2.1 files to 2.5 files.  2.5 stores the files in a different place under your My Documents / Vixen compared to 2.1 that stores the in the same folder.

I use 2.5 for the last 2 years and prefer it to 2.1.  I have found that I have to use a couple different versions for the best set up.  (IE 2.5.0.8 has been great for the schedule, but 2.5.0.3 is better for doing the actual sequence programming/preview review).

You can get the prepare here:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope that helps,

JS

PS: I highly suggest as with anything you back up your 2.1 Vixen folder onto another computer or thumb drive in case you choose to go back to 2.1.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, by batdive »