Author Topic: Can program ssc to test, but not blink from ss utility  (Read 1387 times)

Offline aljaker

I feel like I have looked all over this board for this particular issue with no luck, so I decided to ask.
I can't seem to program my ssc with the latest ss utility.
I have been able to use my pic 3 to install the test firmware to my ssc. I am using 11 physical square nodes that have the TM1804 purchased from Ray. With the test firmware I can get the first 3 squares to light correctly, and the rest seem to have issues, probably the 4th node has a problem, I can address that later. I have installed the firmware for the hub and the lynx dongle with the pixelnet, not DMX firmware, correct checksum. I plug the lynx dongle into the pixelnet input, using a straight through ethernet cable, hub is set with jumper shorted on 1 and 1, and then usb to my xp machine com3 FTDI driver version 2.8.14.0, smart string utility channel 1, individual pixels, forward, node count 11, 0 null  node, square modules, com3, I get a very very faint green light pulsing (I get a strong green light with LSP data). I have the ssc plugged into any of the 16 outputs with the programming socket shorted (fuses are good).I try and transmit, and get no blinking on the nodes. I have checked all of my solder work, there is some flux, but I have never had an issue with that. I checked voltage at the beginning of the string and am getting 11.90v, 5v out of the 7805 and 3.3v out of the ld117.  Any ideas would be a great help. I can post better pics if needed. Thanks!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Can program ssc to test, but not blink from ss utility
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, »
I think you already told us the problem.

With the test firmware I can get the first 3 squares to light correctly, and the rest seem to have issues, probably the 4th node has a problem, I can address that later

Do you have another set of square nodes to use?
If the 4th node is not working correctly then the 3rd node is likely the problem child.
What resistor do you have on the SSC? 330 or 150 ohm? See step 4 of the assembly manual

imho

Rick R.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline aljaker

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, »
I do, and I have another ssc and nodes that I have tried. But I am not getting the blinking confirmation from programming the ssc with the utility to let it know it programmed successfully. Just b/c the 4th node has an issue wouldn't effect nodes 1,2,3 correct? Isn't data sent down the line, not back and forth?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, »
Make sure you are using the latest firmware and SS Utility

The reason I said the 3rd node is because you said the 4th node was not working right. If the 3rd node is not passing the correct data then the 4th to the last nodes will be effected. Even thought the 3rd one is working it still could be the problem.

Hope that makes sense

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, »
In photo 3 on the SS Controller, the output side you have green as data and blue as ground. Is that the correct oreintation for output to the square nodes?
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, »
You didn't explicitly say it, but I assume you re-flashed the SSC with the standard firmware after using the test firmware?  The SSC Utility only works with the regular SSC firmware.

-Mike

Offline aljaker

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, »
Thanks for the help all....I just purchased everything 2 weeks ago, I do have the 150ohm resistor, green is data and blue is ground with these square nodes...it is opposite from the single nodes. And I did reflash the ssc with the (Firmware 7-10-2011 Null Nodes)...but I am supposed to be using the pixelnet firmware with the dongle when running the ss utility correct? Not the DMX firmware?

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, »
Yes your dongle should be flashed with the pixelnet firmware.

Brian

Offline aljaker

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, »
Is there a way to bypass the hub and connect the dongle directly to a ssc? I know I would have to power the ssc. Or is there a way to monitor the data via inline LED into the ssc...may need another opto chip to do that?

Offline aljaker

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, »
Figured it out!!! Bad PIC on the ssc. The bad ones would program with the pickit, but was not receiving data from the utility...I think I made the mistake of powering the ssc from the hub while programming...at least I remember doing this once...I dunno...anywho, I will have to order new pics...Thanks for everyones help! Seems like if you mess with it enough you figure it out. ;)