Author Topic: Window Frames w/ Smart Strings?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline crazybob

Window Frames w/ Smart Strings?
« on: October 19, 2011, »
So far i've seen postings about making a window frame out of PVC and attaching smart strings with zip ties. As I am VERY particular about my lights being lined up perfectly  <fp. , I'm looking to use something besides the strings.
What are others doing for this? Can the rigid strips be cut to the length and width of the window?
Am I correct in understanding that flexible strips can only be cut every 4 inches, or can they be cut wherever with some modification?
I'd like to make one frame that can just be "hung" on each window every year.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Window Frames w/ Smart Strings?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, »
I have not done this, but I'm sure others are working on similar projects and will chime in.

Personally, I don't think you would want to cut the rigid strips ... and basically they are just flex strips mounted in a rigid form factor, and shorter total length.  You can cut the flex with limitations on where, etc.

I think you would get a lot of versatility out of the rectangular modules ... which you easily could mount onto your custom frames with any spacing you choose and they would be affordable ... and controllable 'per module' ... using a smart string controller.  And in fact if you had windows close enough, you might be able to run a couple windows using the same SSC.  I personally prefer the rectangular modules over the squares ... but the squares use a little less power and are still rather flexible in terms of mounting.  I guess the rectangular seems a bit more waterproof to me.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, »
i have the plastic rectangles, and i am planning on using them in the windows...  just keep in mind that each node is 3 rgb led's in a row on the node. so you would have 3 lights on, or the same color when you do your sequencing. (same goes with the metal rectangles, only they are in a tight triangle) 

if you want individual "dots of light" to control, also keep in mind that the regular smart string nodes can be mounted in holes of some other material. So if you have the ability to drill a straight line of holes in something flat, then that could be an idea.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tng5737

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, »
I tried using vinyl J-Channel but it was too flimsy and ended up using pvc pipe.  However the lights are not perfectly aligned as you said.  rectangles are your best bet.   Although you could wire both frames together in one BIG string you also should think about the programming aspect.  Two separate strings might make it easier to do things like simultaneous chases etc...

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, »
I used electric tape to hold the nodes where I wanted them on the pvc. It worked much better then zip ties. thanks to tbone321 for that suggestion

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, »
I used electric tape to hold the nodes where I wanted them on the pvc. It worked much better then zip ties. thanks to tbone321 for that suggestion

Rick R.

I'm debating the same thing.  I put the lights on temporarily using twist ties, so I could try everything out.  I have been debating tape versus zip ties also.  I also have a roll of white duck tape that might look a lot better than having black electrical tape.  It is just that tape can be such a hassle if and when you have to remove it.  Also found out that my 74 node estimate turned out to be just 63 nodes once I straightened out all the twists in the wire.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline crazybob

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, »
Do the rectangles have a mode where each LED is individually addressable?
I remember seeing a video from RJ that showed how to get a flex strip working again once cut by soldering some sort of bridge. Is that only if you cut in the right spot, or can you cut anywhere and repair to work again?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, »
Hi CrazyBob

To be honest the string nodes were design to be installed in signs. So they have a ridge on them for insertion. So if you took a aluminum channel and drill holes and then insert the nodes you will have a flexible straight set of lights.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, »
All great comments.

I think for larger windows, the rectangle modules would perhaps get you more coverage for the buck (than nodes) ... and its 3 5050 LED(s) per instead of one ... so thats either a good thing or not.  I think the rectangular form factor is more conducive to simple frame mounting, whereas if your willing to to more sophisticated frame mounting (drill holes and deal with alignment issues) ... then nodes would work ... but would be a level of difficulty higher and 1/3 the LED(s). 

I know having multiple windows on the same SSC might not make sense, unless they close (wiring distances would factor) ... but in LSP 2.0 you can set up each of the channel ranges as a different controller (same SSC, different channel range) ... and even leave out null (interconnecting/repeater) nodes/modules as needed ... so you still get to program them as independent objects that way and collapse controller, etc.   Again, in LSP, maybe not other software.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline akonkman

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, »
Here's what I did with the nodes:  I drilled holes through 3/4 inch PVC every 3 1/4 inches that were just big enough for the nodes to push through and fit snuggly.  I believe I used a 31/64 inch drill bit (1/2 inch was just a big too large). 

In the end, the nodes are perfectly spaced and all facing out in the same direction.  The wires are all hidden nicely on the back side of the PVC.  No need for any tape or zip ties.  I made the frames to fit snuggly into the inside of my window frames, and plan to help hold them in place with a few screws.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, »
I used some pegboard to make a couple of panels. I drilled out every other hole with a 1/2" tapered step drill, added some firring strips for rigidity and painted everything black.
The nodes fit snugly and line up in a perfectly straight line.
It would be very easy to make single strips to any length.

John

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!