Author Topic: Christmas light terminology  (Read 674 times)

Offline bking85295

Christmas light terminology
« on: October 24, 2011, »
I see a lot of terms I'm not familiar with (I'm new to this) on the Christmas lights themselves:

Flex strip?   Is that the same thing as a rope light?

RGB strip? 

Rectangular node?

Pixel string?

Does a regular, basic light string (mini lights) that you find at Home Depot fall into one of the categories above?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline jeffcoast

Re: Christmas light terminology
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, »
All these terms refer to the new RGB LEDs that people are using.  They are individually controllable at the single light, or Pixel. These are available from other sources, but RJ has developed his own controller to control them which can make it much cheaper than buying a premade system. He called them Smartstrings and info can be found in the wiki here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Let me tell a little about the terms you specifically mentions.

Flex Strip and RGB  strip would both refer to a strip of leds on a plastic backing that is flexible. These are the ones that work with RJs controlloer. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Each LED out of the 120 can be controlled. It has a wrapping around it that does kinda make it look like a rope light, but again, you can change the color of each LED

Rectangular Node refers to these. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. These are a little like the flexible strip, but cut into groups of 3, then connected with wire. Each group of 3 will be the controlled the same. The Square node is the same, but the LEDs are aligned on a square backing. Like this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Pixel string refers to these. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. These would most look like what you would get from Home Depot, but again, each one can be individually controlled.

There are different uses people are using them for, look at some of the videos people have posted to see what you can do with them.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline injury

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, »
RJ goes through showing several of the different types of nodes here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He has several other good videos concerning Smart Strings I was much less confused after I went through and watched them all.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, »
Jeff:

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to rewrite those definitions a bit and add them to the Wiki's glossary.

Thanks.

\dmc

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jeff:

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to rewrite those definitions a bit and add them to the Wiki's glossary.

Thanks.

\dmc
Fine by me.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL