Author Topic: Suggestions for bordering windows  (Read 1057 times)

Offline bking85295

Suggestions for bordering windows
« on: October 24, 2011, »
Just looking for suggestions on lights around windows to get a crisp, straight look.

What are the best methods, types of light strands to use, etc.?

Also, have rectangular openings (6' tall x 2' wide) in a tower that I would like to inset lights in.  Would you use the same method as you would use to outline a standard window?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Suggestions for bordering windows
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, »
Search for window frames.  I am using 1/2" pvc sized to fit the molding on my windows.  I just put a couple of 1 1/4 cups hooks on the top molding and hang them on those.  I had to bend the cup hooks out a little to fit.  This will be my first year using these.  They seem to hang just fine using just hooks at the top, but if they move around in the wind I can put a couple more hooks at the bottom or side, but will wait to see how it goes before doing that.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, »
I was concerned about the bendiness of PVC, so went with 1x3 pine. You can read more than

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

\dmc

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, »
I know some people use 1/2" sch 40 PVC along with broom clips (available at the hardware store - or in bulk from a manufacturer here in the US) to keep the lines straight with little sag.  I'm planing on using this method for my icicle lights. 

PVC is naturally "springy", so my dad suggested using that to my advantage.  The windows on my house are a little older and have a "lip".  We made the long dimension with the elbows to be slightly longer than the window opening (a little less than 1/16") and the short pieces fit snug.  The frames hold themselves in the window and it's a really clean look.

PVC tip:  The gray electrical PVC is cheaper than the white or black.

To attach the lights I used electrical tape.  But tie wraps will work for this application as will rubberbands depending on your climate. 

I will try to post some pics tonight.  (The weather here is supposed turn... 80 degree record yesterday, 4-8" of snow tomorrow!)

Hope this helps!

Steve
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, »
I used 1/2" marine ply I had lying around.  Poked holes for c7's.  Used some of the details from Holdman's star to assist.  Perfectly straight spaced on 6" centers, 2 channels per frame (channels were offset from each other, channel was 12" center).  It took a bit of work and fussing but the results were great.  I primed and painted them with exterior paint which matched my window trim.  Mounting them was not fun.  I could not ever figure a way to mount them without nails and screws but I finally caved and used a combo of nails and eyelets and zip ties to keep em up.  Altogether was a bit hairy but were my favorite part of my show last year.  Had a 80's game show vibe.

This year I will just use eyelets and zip ties as the "destruction" of my trim wasn't as bad as I originally thought...  If you go this route set up a fence jig made for a drill press.  Cannot even imagine it any other way.  I also found a 1" foam brush perfect for priming and painting the holes.  Use c7 on centers longer than your intended frame centers. 

Kinda cheesy but effective pic.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Follow the link for a vid. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, »
I use metal EMT ... I agree clean and crisp.

Harrison

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, »
Hi Folks,

I just upload some pictures of my windows. Now be warned I really don't care if the lights are in a straight line. In fact I like a bit of randomness to my lights. Seems more natural to me. The top and bottom of the frames I have the nodes facing in to the window and the sides are facing out to the street. I did this on purpose, more for the Christmas show then lights for halloween.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tpctech

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, »
I use 1/2 PVC electrical conduit with 1/2 PVC Elbows on the corners.  I have 2 windows in the front of my house that I light.  1 a bedroom the other a bathroom.  I made the frame the same size so from the road (200ft) they look the same in the dark.  I have a SSR4-DMX screwed to the corner of the frame to control 4 colors.  I hang the frame on the siding J-channel with 2 small aluminum brackets off the back of the tubing.  We are in Michigan so the PVC NEVER gets warm!

KEN