Author Topic: "Pickit 3 has stopped working"  (Read 7447 times)

Offline crazybob

"Pickit 3 has stopped working"
« on: October 25, 2011, »
I get a windows "Pickit 3 has stopped working" error every time I try to open the Pickit 3 stand alone program with the pickit plugged in. I can open the program first, and then plug in the device, but cannot get the software to recognize it. I've tried it on 1 desktop and 2 different laptops with the same problem. What could I be doing wrong?
I'm using the Pickit 3 clone with the universal socket from Sure Electronics that others are also using.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: "Pickit 3 has stopped working"
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, »
Start with basics...

1) swap out the USB cable. 
2) use a different USB port
3) don't use a USB hub -- maybe its a power situation
4) don't use the ribbon cable from the picket3, connect the programmer directly to the board
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, »
Did you install the drivers from ftdi?  I always plug the device in and then start the program.  What program are you using?  Best to use the easy programmer, but if it is a new unit you probably have to plug it in and run MPLAB which will then want to download and install a firmware update to the Pickit3.  That should happen automatically once you start up MPLAB.  If if does not then your Pickit 3 probably has the correct firmware.  After that is done then exit MPLAB and run the easy programmer.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, »
Another problem that I had with PicKit3 (but not the same as the one you describe)...

I had to upgrade the firmware using the MPLAB IDE to eliminate errors messages and allow me to to select the right PIC from the drop-down list.  (Until the update I could not select any PICs, the dropdown was disabled.)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, »
When I was having trouble getting the PicKit firmware loaded on the PicKit 3, I came across some posts that indicated that the red cable that comes with it was crap.  As soon as I threw it away, all my issues went with it.  Still can't get it to auto-detect the PIC, but that's another issue and a minor one at that.
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline crazybob

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, »
Tried a different USB cable and port. Still wont work on either computer. If I don't get the error message, the Pickit3 program won't even open up until I disconnect the programmer. Then it suddenly opens on it's own.
I have to use the ribbon, as the dongle board doesn't have a connection for the Pickit3. I have to put the chip in the adapter that came with the programmer, and there isn't enough clearance to hook the programmer to the adapter without the ribbon.
I even tried opening the software with only the programmer plugged in - no ribbon or adapter - and it still won't open until I unplug.
I'll try downloading the MPLAB software...

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, »
without the board (ICSP28 Adapter) connected at all...
can you connect the USB cable from your computer to the pickit3 unit?  ...does the computer beep in recognition of the USB plug-n-play connection?

if it connects, the only thing i see in the device manager is one new entry for USB Input Device.  It is treated as a Human Interface Device, apparently.  there are 3 drivers loaded, all straight from windows.

if you then start the PICkit3 software, it takes about a 15+ seconds to load on my fairly fast machine. 
the message box should then read "Found PICkit3, SN: BURxxxxx" etc.

Offline crazybob

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, »
Windows recognizes the device, and shows the same as yours. Once the device is connected, the Pickit3 stand alone utility won't open. However, I can open it if the device is not connected.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, »
Did you install of the software referenced in the wiki?  (I did not install anything from CD, instead I pulled latest versions from the network.)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline crazybob

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, »
It was the USB cord. Went out today and bought a new one, now it works just fine. I've never had a brand new cord not work before!
Thank you for all your help!

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, »
glad you figured it out!  cBell mentioned the same problem.  I did not have a problem with the red cable, however.

Offline rm357

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, »
I had the same problem as someone above - I had to start a project in the IDE which immediately updated the PICKIT 3 firmware. As soon as it was done, I killed the IDE, unplugged and replugged in in the PICKIT 3, and fired off the utility.

One additional thing I did was right-click the PICKIT3 utility, select properties, and in the compatibility tab check the "Run this program as an administrator" box and the clicked OK. A lot of these types of programs use low level functions that Windows 7 doesn't like for normal users to play with.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, »
I did the same with admin rights, but forgot to mention it.  that was a good item to call out!