Author Topic: Crossover cable  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Crossover cable
« on: October 26, 2011, »
I was fairly confident this would work, but verified tonight that a network crossover cable works to connect from the PC to the Etherdogle.  On my laptop, I can direct LSP to output to the network card and continue to use the wireless network to access the internet.  The one word of caution is not to mix this cable with the other cat5 cables.  My crossover cable is red and all my other ones are black.

Offline injury

Re: Crossover cable
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, »
how old is the ethernet card? Just curious since now days most cards (as well as switches) autosense and still work over either wiring.

Would be most worried about someone accidently using a crossover out to a smart string. Imagine they might smell a bit of smoke.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, »
I'm thinking it might very possibly happen.

To build my SSCs, I recently ordered from monoprice crossover cables with a male and female connectors at either end.  My plan is to cut off the male end and solder the female end to the SSC.  Since I don't know where the "crossover" takes place (maybe the female connector?) I planned to test the wires and make any needed accommodations before soldering the wires into place.

So, I think your warning is a good one, and people should definitely test their pigtails before soldering and applying power.

btw, it was just after placing my order I saw that RJ has the pigtails available with the PCBs. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
how old is the ethernet card? Just curious since now days most cards (as well as switches) autosense and still work over either wiring.

Would be most worried about someone accidently using a crossover out to a smart string. Imagine they might smell a bit of smoke.

The laptop is about 4 years old and was designed for Windows XP. 

Offline CajunLights

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, »
I'm thinking it might very possibly happen.

To build my SSCs, I recently ordered from monoprice crossover cables with a male and female connectors at either end.  My plan is to cut off the male end and solder the female end to the SSC.  Since I don't know where the "crossover" takes place (maybe the female connector?) I planned to test the wires and make any needed accommodations before soldering the wires into place.

So, I think your warning is a good one, and people should definitely test their pigtails before soldering and applying power.

btw, it was just after placing my order I saw that RJ has the pigtails available with the PCBs. :)

You really shouldn't worry about buying crossover cables if your are going to cut them up.  at that point you could just use a regular straight-through patch cable or just make one yourself, they are simple to make yourself.  The crossover for an Ethernet cable happens at pins 1,2,3 & 6 (these are the only pins used for Ethernet data) which is typically the Orange and Green pairs.  A simple way to visualize it is to compare the wire colors between the EIA/TIA 568A  and 568B standards.

Here is another random link I think has a simple enough diagram to demonstrate the crossover.

Regards,
--MikeC

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, »
almost everything (except very low end) gigabit interfaces have auto-mdix  which gives you the ability to link to another device without a crossover ethernet cable.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!