Author Topic: Virtual Display?  (Read 4709 times)

dandyman

Re: Virtual Display?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, »
Hi, ChristmasJoe...

What is the name of that song you used (on the Y Tube link)?

thanks...

Dan

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, »
Suggestion for anyone looking for a song name:

If you have an android phone, or an iphone you can install a free app that listens to a portion of song and searches for its matching name and artist -- even album containing that track.

Two apps that do this for you:  Shazam, and SoundHound.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, »
We (PK is my dad) started in March or April building the Lynx Expresses and starting to play with various decorations.  You're doing it right... learn the software, join a co-op and build the controllers, dongles, etc., figure out what works for you and before you know it, you'll have a You Tube following!

Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Christmas.joe

• Listen To Those Lights!
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi, ChristmasJoe...

What is the name of that song you used (on the Y Tube link)?

thanks...

Dan

Jingle Bells by Yello.  There are several versions.  I have the movie version track "The Santa Clause" (I think that's the name). It's the same song as in the movie without the movie dubs.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, by Christmas.joe »
First Live Show 2011 Success Is Good!
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline Christmas.joe

• Listen To Those Lights!
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, »
Here is another example of sequencing and doing it the hard way.  It's not my best show, but you will get the idea

Anytime you watch YouTube, play it once, then play it again the timing will be better.  I don;t know why, but YouTube is just that way.
 <pop..
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, by Christmas.joe »
First Live Show 2011 Success Is Good!
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline pyrael

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, »
Me Likie!!   <res.

Been away for a bit, My Co-Producers were raggin on me to get some writing done for a future album. (Kinda get a jump on it LOL). Seems when I get into that mode the ball just starts rolling and I have to ride the coaster to the end 8)

As long as they don't expect more from me for a while, I should be able to focus on the hobbies more.

Py

Offline injury

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, »
Looks like we had some of the same thoughts. I just started messing with some MIDI input tonight and that's how I think I'll input from here on out.

What I did was load up Reaper (midi sequence software) and add the mp3 for my show as a backing track, then added a midi track. In this case I was testing with an idea of an element with 16 channels so I limited myself to playing along with just 16 keys on my midi keyboard. I made sure the midi I exported out was as long as the original track.

Then I took that midi and made a dummy profile/sequence in Vixen with this midi file and used the Midi Reader Add In where you can map the keyboard to channels. I then just copied the channel events from that dummy sequence to the real sequence I was working on that had the original mp3 file I wanted to use attached.

The plugin seems to set the channel brightness based on volume which I though was a cool unexpected feature. Tough thing for me is just making the midi track with rhythm/visuals in mind and not tone. The file sounded like a kid mashing a keyboard, but once laid down on my main sequence with MP3 backing it looked really accurate in the visualizer.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, »
One of these days I want to fool with midi with vixen.  I am a musician too.  I use the assigned key method and I find it works well.  Would love to translate that to a midi controller if I ever get time.

Most of my sequences have an orchestrated vibe to them because I tend to group visuals with instrumentation.  IE larger lighted items are drum and bass, smaller are melody or vocal, and effects lights are effects in the mix.  The profile is actually quite defined so it is rather easy for me to sequence.  Kind of like a "big band" of lights.  Although I have a smaller setup than most I get lots of compliments on my show and I attribute that to the way I do things. 

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, »
One of these days I want to fool with midi with vixen.  I am a musician too.  I use the assigned key method and I find it works well.  Would love to translate that to a midi controller if I ever get time.

Most of my sequences have an orchestrated vibe to them because I tend to group visuals with instrumentation.  IE larger lighted items are drum and bass, smaller are melody or vocal, and effects lights are effects in the mix.  The profile is actually quite defined so it is rather easy for me to sequence.  Kind of like a "big band" of lights.  Although I have a smaller setup than most I get lots of compliments on my show and I attribute that to the way I do things.

Hmmmmm... I like anything that makes it easy to sequence!  Although I'm only using 25 channels this year (8 of which is a door arch) I may try your technique on one of the songs this year - coincidently thinking of tackling Glenn Miller's rendition of Frosty the Snowman.

What about pitch-to-midi devices?  It seems if you were in a band or played multiple instruments that you could do some really neat stuff!
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline pyrael

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, »
AGAIN, they got on me about material....
Slave drivers I tell ya!
 <la..

Anyway, I'm liking the idea of the velocity=brightness feature!! that could get REALLY interesting.

I have the AWESOME VSTi for a pipe organ, and a MIDI rendition of the phantom of the Opera I'm working on for nex Halloween (I still gotta get the hardware built come tax time). I was also curious about linking actual scale notes to colors using smartstings. Since they can essentially produce any color, and light being a wavelength, just quite a bit higher than sound, each color *should* have a comparable musical note (Imagine trying to place red on a stave!! oh the extra lines!!). Anyway, I figure if I assume the lowest common note in music (generally for rock/pop/etc being the low E of a bass) to be the lowest frequency of visible light, I could in theory have the entire spectrum of light representing the music. i think that would be a neat trick. Changing color based on the tone, and intensity based on the velocity, and adding the triggers based upon the rhythm. Oh what possibilities!!

Hey, if anyone knows how to program an addon like that, I'd be happy to research the note names and convert the MIDI note numbers to their relevant light codes.  ;D

Steve