Author Topic: procedure for channel programming the aether ii  (Read 9068 times)

Offline complacent_one

Ok, so i Have built my second unit and i still seem to not know what is going wrong.

If power is applied with SW2 toggled to the outside of the PCB the led flashed slowly red.

I used the lynx express config tool and attempted to change the starting channel multiple times.

1. Power aether 2 with the switch to the outside (slow red flash)
2. open config tool and set for start channel of 1, transmit
3. switch sw2 to the inside, rapid flash then holds on a greenish white
4. switch sw2 back to the outside, slow red flash
5. remove power from aether 2
6. stop transmit and exit utility

7 reapply power to aether and run test controller in LSP
channel 1 activates green, 2 blue, 3 white.....no red??

Can someone please tell me if I have the procedure correct??  Am I missing something??

Both controllers are doing the same thing.

Even tried moving to channel 2, 4, 145, you name it...I am assuming my programming sequence must be incorrect.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, by complacent_one »

Offline complacent_one

Re: procedure for channel programming the aether ii
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, »
Please....anybody.....???????

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, »
Now you are using 4 channels correct. This is my only guess till I have mine built next week.   

Offline complacent_one

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, »
Yes, I am using a 4 channel controller in LSP, It is a modified Renard Control block.  supposed to be 1, 2, 3 (R, G, B) and 4 White..

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, »
Do you have a meter? Have you compared the working drivers to the non working ? Do you have a screw touching a pad grounding it out? Do you have power at the 2nd and 3rd pins from the left on the front of the board on the red driver?   

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, »
Just start over with the basics:

1 - Reflash the pic, it defaults to channel #1 as the start address.
2 - Use RJ's DMX Deck program (in the wiki software page) and see if the Aether2 works correctly. (set the correct com port)
2a - If it works correctly then you know something in LSP is not configured properly.
2b - If it Doesn't work then start out with the basic trouble shooting, Solder issue, Parts in the correct spot, Try different cat5 cables

3 - Let us know the results of the above

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline complacent_one

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, »
I have not checked that, but the red led flashes with power applied and sw2 switched towards the outside of the pcb.  seems like it is getting power.

If I apply power with the lynx dongle disconnected, then it does nothing, as soon as I plug in the dongle, the red led starts flashing.

i just reflashed the pic with my pickit3 and the latest hex file....same thing.

I tried operating using RJ's DMX deck, and I get green on channel 1, blue on channel 2, and white on channel 3.....no red control.

This is with two different Aether's...so I am figuring I am having an issue with the way I am trying to configure the channels...my steps are wrong or something.  I doubt it is the Aether itself...

Offline complacent_one

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, »
When setting the curves in the Lynx Express Utility, am I supposed to use the Aether 1 thru 4 curves for channels 1thru4 or am I supposed to use the aether 42 for one of them???

I searched quite a bit for this info, but cannot seem to find it.

Thanks...

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, »
A newly flash pic doesn't need to be programmed. Just use it on channel #1

Did you try another cat5 cable? Make sure its a straight cable and not a cross over. Is the cables home made or store brought?

If another cable doesn't work then I would bet there is a solder bridge somewhere if the red led flashes when power up.

If Aether is the only thing connect make sure the termination switch is on.

Normal steps to program

1 - Power OFF, keep off until step #4
2 - Move switch to program mode
3 - Startup Lynx Express program and set the start address and transmit
4 - Power up the Aether (on)
5 - Count to 3
6 - Power OFF
7 - Stop program and exit
8 - move switch back to operate
9 - Power back on and test.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, »
Did you double/triple check the wires from the led to pcb and the wires from the pigtail (cat5 female) to the pcb?

Are they correct?

Rick R.

Offline complacent_one

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, »
Just finished VM'ing (resistance checking) the jumper layout from the pcb to the LED...good to go,  also tried 3 different cat5 cables, premade...not home made.

Check the Cat5 pig tails to the board...orange and the orange white look good....

I guess I will have to unpack a couple LE's in the morning and give them a shot...make sure the dongle is proven to operate properly.

It seems a bit strange that the deck works but is offset the way it is and of course not operating the red...

Offline complacent_one

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, »
OK..think I have made some progress...at least on getting a couple more beers in me.

So I sent the hex again, I know it says it took the first time.  This correct Channel one as red, 2green, 3 blue and 4 white.  Now I will see if i can control via LSP.

Thanks for the help fellas!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, »
Congrats on getting them working

How did the LSP setup/seq go?

Rick R.

Offline complacent_one

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, »
It actually works pretty well.

I just used the canned REN based controller that is in the controller library in LSP2 Pro.  It is stock as 8 channels.

I will be running 3 Aether2's this year, so I will set it up as a 12 channel

Channel 1 will consist of 3 Logic channels 1,2,3(RGB) for Aether2 No1
Channel 2 will consist of 3 Logic Channels 4,4,4 (W, W, W)
Channel 3 will consist of 3 Logic Channels 4,6,7 (RGB) = Aether2 No2
....etc....
When the REN is set up, need to configure output for RGB control.

Sequencing consists of one row for RGB and one row for white per Aether....played around with it till about midnight and looks pretty nice....Was seeing some serious spots when I was done....

by the way...figured out my issue with the flashing red and the whole Green channel as start channel.
I used the following instruction from the Wiki for the original Aether..
    Step 1 - Turn the aether on
    Step 2 - Start the utility and start sending the data
    Step 3 - Open the glass front on the Aether
    Step 4 - Move the jumper and the leds will cycle throught the colors fast (like 1/2 a sec) and stop on white.
    Step 5 - Put the jumper back to operate and unplug the aether.
    Step 6 - Close the glass door
    Step 7 - Shut the utility down.
    Step 8 - Plug the aether back in

Well after you posted up the instructions stating not to apply power till step 4 it worked.

If you cycle the Operation/Programming switch(SW2) with power applied, it will cause it to funk up the firmware.  I did not screenshot it, but I read the hex after I did so and some of the values were wiped.  i reflashed, then tested and everything was good to go.  I have not tried to run the lynx express config tool yet to change the addresses, but I have a feeling it should work now. 

Thanks for all of the help!!

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, »
I am having similar problems. I am working with 1 aether 2 at a time.  I start from a fresh flash of the PIC with the same behavior as the OP (ie. channel 1 green, ch2 blue, ch 3 white...).  This behavior is the same in dmx deck and in lightshow pro.

I then work through the programming process as described by Rick to set a new channel number. Then when I power the unit back on after programming the unit does not respond to any channel...

Any thoughts?

Frank