Author Topic: procedure for channel programming the aether ii  (Read 9071 times)

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
Re: procedure for channel programming the aether ii
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, »
oy!

I never learn.  updated to the latest lynx start address utility and things work great   <fp.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, »
reflash the pic. sounds like it got corrupted

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline complacent_one

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, »
oy!

I never learn.  updated to the latest lynx start address utility and things work great   <fp.

So now that I have had some more time to mess around with the Aethers, I decided I would try to address them.

I tried the Lynx Express Config tool, But it sends it back to Start Channel of green on Channel One, even if I say program the unit for a start channel of 5 or 9 or whatever.  Cannot seem to change the address.  So I plug the Pickit3 back in and flash the original hex back to it and Channel one is correct with red. 

The wiki says to use the config tool, am I supposed to be using the adressing tool.  I tried that and I get an Aether that will not respond on the programmed channel or on number one???

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, »
Use the address tool. The aether ll does not use the curves.

Rj

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, »
I have to say I am having the same issues.  I have redone the PIC I have unload and reloaded the Lynx Address Utility and I still get the following. SW2 left Slow red blinky,  Channel one Green, two Blue, three White and four nothing.  I did read RJ's update and had the SW2 to the right for program and all I get is green if I program to channel 1. If I try for channel 10 I get nothing.  I have reviewed all my solder joints and connections.  It is funny we have all had the same issue.  I will keep you all up to date as I progress.  If you have any ideas please let me know.

kevin

Offline meman

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, »
Add me to the club. With both switches are to the right, I apply power and get a great flash of what appears to be all colors at once. The light then performs perfectly to my sequence in Vixen; channel 1=G, 2 =B, 3=W, but 4=nothing....no red. Leave power on, put SW2 in program mode and led starts blinking red. Kill Vixen, fire up addressing util to move start channel to 161 (also tried config tool) but red just keeps blinking away and util starts flashing "Address being transmitted" and never returns.
Move SW2 back to operate mode and led changes from flashing red to solid green. Fire Vixen back up and everything works the same as before...starting at channel 1. No issues with firmware corruption...but I have reflashed several times just to see if it makes a difference.

Still tinkering....I'll post more if I can get a better result.

Mike E.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, »
Add me to the club. With both switches are to the right, I apply power and get a great flash of what appears to be all colors at once. The light then performs perfectly to my sequence in Vixen; channel 1=G, 2 =B, 3=W, but 4=nothing....no red. Leave power on, put SW2 in program mode and led starts blinking red. Kill Vixen, fire up addressing util to move start channel to 161 (also tried config tool) but red just keeps blinking away and util starts flashing "Address being transmitted" and never returns.
Move SW2 back to operate mode and led changes from flashing red to solid green. Fire Vixen back up and everything works the same as before...starting at channel 1. No issues with firmware corruption...but I have reflashed several times just to see if it makes a difference.

Still tinkering....I'll post more if I can get a better result.

Mike E.

Try a different order:

1 - Start Address Utility and set the start channel you want. Hit transmit
2 - With Aether2 OFF move switch to program mode
3 - Turn ON Aether2 once it starts to flash red turn Aether2 OFF
4 - Move switch back to operate mode
5 - Stop Address Utility
6 - Turn Aether2 back on and test with your sequence software of choice.

Rick R.

P.S. I don't have a Aether but the above seems right. Also its possible if you move the opera/program switch with the Aether2 on you might have to reflash the pic before it works correctly.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline meman

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, »
Tried the new order a couple of times. Same results. I'm really stumped why there is no red under normal operating mode...thats bugging me more than the addressing. I'll have some more time to look at it tonight.

Thanks and ...and keep the suggestions coming. We'll get it figured out. 
Mike E.

Offline complacent_one

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, »
Tried the new order a couple of times. Same results. I'm really stumped why there is no red under normal operating mode...thats bugging me more than the addressing. I'll have some more time to look at it tonight.

Thanks and ...and keep the suggestions coming. We'll get it figured out. 
Mike E.

Do you have a Pickit to flash the pic??

If so, Flash it.  Make sure that after the flash is complete that SW2 is in the inboard position prior to powering the device.   From my limited experience , at no time should the oper/program switch (sw2) be toggled while power is applied.  If you can flash it with the Hex file, then channel one will start as red...

I am going to dig back into tonight to set if I can get one of them to take a new address.

John

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, »
It does seem that if you switch SW2 while powered is screws with the PIC program.  I am still working the issue.  I agree do not move the SW2 anytime the unit is powered. Let me know if you all are seeing the same issue with the PIC?  It is just an observation.  I will try more to night.  Right I have to work to pay for my hobby. Kevin

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, »
Ok.  I've got updated instructions for everyone, and also for Rick's revised manual.

I saw a couple bugs with the software, and with instructions the user can avoid some and work past others.
I also saw a situation where I tried to change the channel to 321-324, and I ended up with 510-512. (R,G,B... but no W)
Another oddity... before I set the channel, I found that only channels 1,2,3 were available as G,B,W (no R as it was likely an inaccessible 0)

Left/outer-most switch (SW2): Program Switch
    Toggled left/outer: Program, Toggled Right/inner: Operate
Right/inner-most switch (SW1): DMX Termination
    Toggled left/outer: Term Off, Toggled Right/inner: Term On

Here are the instructions:

1. Turn OFF power to AetherII
      reset USB dongle
      set DMX terminate (inner-most) switch to inner position (terminate on)
 2. [While OFF] Verify that the outer-most switch it toggled to the inner position [Operate Mode]
 3. [While OFF] Start the "Lynx Address Utility" as Administrator
 4. [While OFF] Set COM port for dongle using Settings/Comport and the [Update] button
 5. [While OFF] Change StartChannel number to XXXX
 6. [While OFF] Select button "Program"
 7. [While OFF] Flip outer-most switch to outer position [Program Mode]
 8. Turn ON power to AetherII
 9. [While ON] Wait for flashing red on AetherII
10. Turn OFF power to AetherII
11. [While OFF] Flip outer-most switch to inner position [Operate Mode]
12. [While OFF] Stop "Lynx Address Utility"  (it may abort... don't worry about it)
13. [While OFF] Exit the utility.
14. Turn ON power to AetherII (if it lights up as blue, connection to the dongle was lost and the dongle should be reset...)
15. [Optional] Disconnect USB connection to Dongle
16. [Optional] Reconnect USB to Dongle
17. Test the device
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, »
I just came up wit the same. the 1,2,3, R,G,B no white.  The cause of this is switching the outer SW2 during power up.  I had success after re-programing the PIC.  The power must be off to the Aether when switching SW2.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, »
The 123/GBW  and  510-512/RGB  happened during my testing.
If you follow the steps I've listed, it should work as intended.

...and none of my experimentation required that I reprogram the PIC.  I think that can get you back to normal, but usually it is unneeded... just start again.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline dannyct

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, »
I followed the instructions above (and Wiki manual) to program the start channel.  I saw the "RED" flashes when I turned the Power ON.  However, nothing was changed, I still get 1,2,3, 4 (white).   How can I change the start channel to 201 ?

Thanks. 

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, »
In step 5,

5. [While OFF] Change StartChannel number to XXXX

you should select channel 201 in the drop-down list.