Author Topic: procedure for channel programming the aether ii  (Read 9075 times)

Offline dannyct

Re: procedure for channel programming the aether ii
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, »
I just tried that too.  Nothing was changed.

FYI - all channel 1, 2, 3, and 4 (white) is functioning but I just can't get it to change to 201.

Please help
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, by dannyct »

Offline dannyct

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, »
BTW - do I use Pick3 device to program or I should use "USB Dongle" to program the start channel?

Thanks

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, »
use the USB dongle and the Lynx Address Utility.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline dannyct

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, »
Steve,

Thanks,  I was using the "USB Dongle".  I'm still not sure why I can't program the start channel to 201.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, »
It seems to be something that I did and didn't fully document, or something that you are doing that is not on the list... or a dozen other things.

I'm looking now to see if anyone else has a problem with the procedure.

another option is to follow Rick's procedure, currently listed in the wiki manual page for aetherII.  I don't see anything in my list that he is not saying -- but I think I am being more explicit.

so, try the procedure in the wiki.  let's see what happens.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline meman

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, »
Yes, if you are having success it is blind luck, or we have missed something important. If I reprogram the pic (fully erase it, load hex & verify), everything is perfect RGBW on channels 1-4. No matter what process I follow, running either of the configuration utilities and trying to set the start channel to 161, it screws up the chip and I am back to the GBW on channels 1-3. Trying to set the start channel to lower values like 24 has even more alarming results, like full green when power is applied. Killed power and reset dongle and no channels would light until I reprogrammed chip. 

Lather, rinse, repeat, drink shot of Jameson, lather, rinse, repeat....<fp. <fp.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, »
Another thought.  I noticed throughout my procedure that I have the inner-most switch flipped to the outside.  I've left it in that position throughout the configuration, and also through my testing of the unit with Vixen.  Can you try that to see if there is any effect?

I prefer to think I am not experiencing blind luck, only experiencing som karma after a lot of other blind alleys. :)

Offline meman

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, »
Definitely appreciate the help and encouragement  <res.
Setting the terminate switch towards the outside of the case seems to force the red led on while the other channels obey the sequence under normal operation. I tried to set the start channel with both switches toggled to the outside of the case and got different results every time I applied power. For now, if I reprogram and stick with the default start channel 1, I have a working Aether....they'll all have to dance in unison.
giving up for the night....thanks again!

Mike E. 

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, »
Tonight I will have my second (and final) AetherII assembled in the case, I'll try the procedure I've listed from the start.  I'll also video the experience.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, »
Mike,
I noticed in your picture in the other thread that I only saw 6 wires soldered to the LED.  You didn't leave off a pair of wires did you?

-Keith

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Definitely appreciate the help and encouragement  <res.
Setting the terminate switch towards the outside of the case seems to force the red led on while the other channels obey the sequence under normal operation. I tried to set the start channel with both switches toggled to the outside of the case and got different results every time I applied power. For now, if I reprogram and stick with the default start channel 1, I have a working Aether....they'll all have to dance in unison.
giving up for the night....thanks again!

Mike E.

Offline dannyct

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, »
Steve,

You don't sleep?  ;D You were staying late last night trying to help me and now what are you doing at 5:30am :) <res.

Offline meman

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, »
The original manual instructed to solder 6 wires starting at #1, so I did. After I didn't get all my colors, I went ahead and added the other two and asked Rick to correct the manual in the Wiki. So good to go now, but I guess we should replace my pic that Rick used in the manual since someone else will surely notice the missing wires too and think they did something wrong.

Mike E.

Offline dannyct

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, »
Yeah - I too was followed the original instruction, which only required 6 wires  :)

After reading so many posts, I'm confused now. 

On the "Aether II Answers for Questions for everyone" thread.  RJ has the following.

Here is the information being asked in many different threads.

1 -

Switches on the Aether II -

Right switch is terminate and moving it to the right turns it on.
    Left Switch is Operate/ Program and moving it to the right is program.

So both should be to the left for normal operation

The instructions from "Steve" and Wiki manual indicated that the "Left (w2) switch" moving it to the left (outside edge) is program.

Which ones is correct?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, by dannyct »

Offline meman

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, »
The manual has been updated, and I'm 100% sure it's accurate...based on my own experience. The aether obeys sequences from Vixen with the program/operate switch to the right (toward the center of the light), but only blinks red when the switch is to the left (toward the side of the case).

Mike E.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2011, »
I too saw 6-wires, but i ignored it. :)  I thought at that time it was a misprint -- especially since all discussions mentioned the 4 channels.  Mike has fixed the wiki to show 8.

The picture added later was confusing as well.  I don't know if it was meant to show one in progress, or it was meant to show one completed -- but with 6 connected.  The picture really should be replaced in the wiki.  I'll take a new pic tonight of my 2nd unit.