Author Topic: John's Journal  (Read 19639 times)

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: John's Journal
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, »
Greetings,,,

Love the flakes.  Now we need to see them in falling motion.  :-)

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, »
Nice John,

I agree the Blue Looks Good

Bill

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, »
The best plans of mice and men...

I had hoped to have eight LE's built and running stuff for last year's show.  Alas, but time was not on my side.  I got only as far as 2 Lynx for the townhouse outline and a dumb little box for the snowflakes.

So with little really superior to share, I have only a crude cellphone video to show for 2008 and a couple of fun stills:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This year I will have all I dreamed about for 2008:  falling snowflakes, more rope light, the nine 4-color mini trees, the four 9-channel leaping arches, the 128 channel mega-fan, the 25 strobes, the seven channel star, the six channel icicles, the starfruit tree wrap, the MR16's, the icicle line over the street, the speakers, the fm xmtr, the music(!), the sign, sequences!!!

OMG!  Look what I got myself into.

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, »
John I really like your snowflakes!
Leon

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

You're flakier than I, but in a good way.  Great work...

Keith

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, »
Nice Vids

Bill

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, »
John,

That looks great.  I have to go look at how you made your snowflakes again, they look fantastic.

Is there anything else like your display anywhere in Thailand?

Ron

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, »
Leon, Keith, Bill, Ron... thanks for looking and appreciate your comments.  Other than the shopping centers which make a valiant effort to stimulate December sales with their mega trees, rope light wire sculptures and lots of LED's hanging from trees, I don't see any addicts like me.  But then I don't get out much either!  In 2007 I could look out my 3rd floor workshop window at the high-rise condo four blocks away and see a couple balconies decorated with lights, but none this past Christmas.

John

John

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, »
Twelve Feet (or ~4 meters for the dimensionally challenged) of Christmas 2008:

Remember that holey angle iron from the hardware shop?  Last November I felt like a kid playing with a giant erector set. 

Having nothing but concrete walls and a wood fence to attach show elements to presented a challenge.  Let alone having no space available to put anything at ground level; even if I did, it would be hidden from view unless you were directly in front and then where does the car go?

Here's the fence section that fell down and took three days to repair.  I screwed uprights into it and built a platform over the front gate for three of the inflatables.  And added a bar to anchor the nine mini-trees.  You can almost make out their skeletons hanging to dry in the sun.  Below that another bar to attach the 4-color flat LED rope; it runs from the gate all the way along the fence to the front door on each side.

Ready to hang vertical and horizontal sections of rope light now.  I also added a center bar.  It has hook eyes every 15cm.  The plan was to tie 32 LED strings to it to create a mega sail, but I ran out of time.  The 5-point star at the top will also have to wait for next Christmas.  That's ok... I have time now to continue building these things and get all the controllers built.

Oh yeah,  the leaping arches too.  There's the PVC and I have the lights.  I guess I better get busy.

John
John

Offline memphislights

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, »
Ever thought about lighting up the gates to the driveway by following the design on the gates?

And, like the snowflakes.  I am going to try and make some based off of your design.

It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline OriginalHotrodder

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, »
Hi John,
Great work!  You are very inspiring.  Have you thought of mounting your leaping arches on the front of your gate/fence arches?  From your picture it appears that your PVC is blue in color, is that right?

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, »
I love reading your posts John.  You have so many more challenges than most of us, it is just inspiring.

Ron

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, »
John,

...WOW.

Just such a great job...can't say enough.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, »
When you get to be as old as I am, it's good sometimes to reflect on where you've been.  Then again, when you're as old as I am, it's easy to forget - sometimes intentionally! - where you've been. 

Tonight though, in my time travels through old computer files, I stumbled across some "ancient" Christmas Light stuff from my former life in Hawaii.

This one is from 2002:

I was using one of those tiny multi-function mini light controllers which I modded to switch four mechanical relays for the star.  No dimming hahaha!  The eight strings of 25-lt C7's just chased around the five points (with lots of audible clicking to boot.)  The three colors of C9's on the roof outline drew so many amps... I had to drive six 25A hockey puck SSR's (two circuits for each color) by plugging them into a commercial 4-track chase light controller.  Even so, I still ended up frying a few.  For me at that time it cost an arm and a leg to do that - let alone the electric bill on an island with the highest utility rates in the country!  And wow - the beginnings of a megaTree!... and a Snap-N-Glow sign!  I hear they went out of business :-(

Below is a vid of 2001 recorded on my then 3-yr-old Sony Mavica.  It used floppy disks for media... yes, that was just seven years ago!  Ahhh... the full moon with the star sure is pretty.

I had to trash most of the icicle lights after that season because the humidity and rain just rotted the legs off those minis.  The megaTree pole (35 feet of 2" galvanized I cockaroached from an old house) was just a Star pole that year.... the post-Christmas sales at WalMart enabled what you see in the pic above. 

Man... we've come a long way baby!

John
John

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Neat video.  Kind of an animated quality.  Got one of those old Mavica's around here.  Never had such a fun subject matter though.  :-)

Keith