Author Topic: Express + Lynx Dongle + Vixen - no blinky flashy?  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Opopanax

Okay, I'm at my wits end. I've spent the last few days searching the wiki and the boards and I simply do not know what to do.

This is my first time ever with light animation so I'm sure I"m missing something simple

I have my lynxx board all put together. I ran the test and it works great! Blinky and flashy! Yay!

I have my lynxx dongle setup and I get both red and green LEDs light up. I even managed to program my PIC after much reading.

Then I got Vixen Setup. I'm using the Entec USb plugin. DMX add=in is unchecked, I'm using Com1 which is matched in device manager and Vixen.

I can play the sequence, but I get no blinky or flashy.

So I have the USB to Dongle. Dongle has Cat5 going to the Lynx DMX in spot. The board is on and I have the channel set to 1 (right? Set it to the first channel that'll be used by the board).

Everything is powered. I hit play sequence. It starts -- but nothing happens. The channel LED lights don't light up.

What am I missing?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Express + Lynx Dongle + Vixen - no blinky flashy?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, »
If you only see Com1 then I am guessing you didn't install the FTDI drivers or you are not selecting the right com port. Normally windows takes com 1 for a serial port even if its not there.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, »
I have the same problem using com4 settings match dmx unpluged.  I can test the channels with vixen. However if I create a random sequence in vixen and hit play nothing happens vixen ignores my comand. 

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, »
Try using RJ's DMX Deck program. To see if the problem is hardware or software setup. The only setting is to select the com port

If DMX Deck works then we know its a setting in Vixen.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, »
Rick I figure it is a setting in vixen I just need time to trouble shoot it but it sound a lot like the OP so I thought I would share.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, »
Watch out that your sequence and your original test are using the same profile.  If you have a test sequence and it works do a create profile from sequence and then be sure to attach that sequence to a real animation sequence.  I'm just guessing that if you are like me I have a sequence called test512 that has nothing animated in it.  Just an empty sequence that I can use with the test channels function and to play with the configuration.  I never save any blinky in that sequence even if I do turn on a couple of channels and put it into loop mode to to check out my lights.  If I know that works good and I have all my channel labels and my animated preview like I want it then I create a profile from the test 512 and attach my created profile to all my new sequences.  I name all my profiles like 2011 DMX Halloween or 2011 Pixelnet Halloween, 2011 DMX Christmas, etc.   If you try to use a different profile for each sequence I can almost guarantee that you will get messed up at some time, maybe when you go to schedule a show.  Ask me how I know.  Been there done that.

BTW this thread should be moved to the Software - Vixen area and not in the Hardware - LE area.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, »
only if it is a vixen issue

Offline Opopanax

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, »
I did install the FTID drivers. I'm using the d2xx not the VCP version. Does that make a difference? Which should I be using?

I'm actually running this on a netbook with no serial running windows 7. According to the device manager the USb is COM1.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, »
I always run this on a computer for the first time and never had a problem

Rick R.

Offline Christmas.joe

• Listen To Those Lights!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, »
Okay, I'm at my wits end. I've spent the last few days searching the wiki and the boards and I simply do not know what to do.

This is my first time ever with light animation so I'm sure I"m missing something simple

I have my lynxx board all put together. I ran the test and it works great! Blinky and flashy! Yay!

I have my lynxx dongle setup and I get both red and green LEDs light up. I even managed to program my PIC after much reading.

Then I got Vixen Setup. I'm using the Entec USb plugin. DMX add=in is unchecked, I'm using Com1 which is matched in device manager and Vixen.

So I have the USB to Dongle. Dongle has Cat5 going to the Lynx DMX in spot. The board is on and I have the channel set to 1 (right? Set it to the first channel that'll be used by the board).

Everything is powered. I hit play sequence. It starts -- but nothing happens. The channel LED lights don't light up.

What am I missing?

Shouldn't the DMX add-in be CHECKED?  Mine is and Vixen works perfect with the Dongle and LE.

jnealand, that was probably some of the best advise on Profiles.  That's what I did and all my stuff works as expected.  Profile it baby, that's the ticket!

<pop..
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, by Christmas.joe »
First Live Show 2011 Success Is Good!
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, »

What am I missing?

Shouldn't the DMX add-in be CHECKED?  Mine is and Vixen works perfect with the Dongle and LE.

I took it he met the Add-In menu there is a DMX option there. Which is unchecked

I think you mean the plugin Output Entec DMX USB Pro, needs to be checked

Rick R.

Offline Christmas.joe

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, »
Rick, actually I meant what I posted; in my Add-in menu my DMX option is checked.  In my plugin I have Entec DMX USP Pro checked. 

All my lights work as expected; they flashy blink to the music.  If Opopanax Add-in DMX is unchecked wouldn't that possibly be why no lights blink form the controller because Vixen is not DMXing?

Should I not have DMX checked in the Add-in menu and if it's working why would it not be checked? 

At the Vixen website it says Use of this add-in will maintain a constant DMX stream while the application is running, regardless of whether or not a sequence is executing. This only works with the Enttec Open DMX. I believe I checked this because I left everything on one night just to see what would happen, and then next morning all my lights were on.  I think it was RJ who said if that is checked and I leave everything on with Vixen loaded, the lights won't randomly come on. 

I'm just guessing the DMX Add-in should be checked.

<pop..
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, »
Greetings,,,

You don't want the Add-in DMX checked for the Lynx Dongle.

He should try the VCP driver.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline Christmas.joe

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, »
Why would one not want to use the DMX Add-in with the Lynx Dongle?  Is it because of the constant stream?  I don't want to damage my Dongle  <;d

<pop..
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, »
Greetings,,,

That add in is for a different type of dongle.  The Lynx Dongle doesn't need it.

Don't worry about damage.  Just turn it off and just use the plug in.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues