Author Topic: Error in mounting  (Read 1769 times)

Offline TheBanker

Error in mounting
« on: October 30, 2011, »
Am I the only one who made the voltage regulators to short to mount the board to the heat sink?  Steve I think you were trying to tell me something was wrong.

My options??

I could replace them all and do it right.
Could I remove the two switches and still operate the Aether?
I could enlarge the holes for the switches?

Anyone have any advice??
Will

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
Re: Error in mounting
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, »
Did you build them all that way or just one? Some washers/spacers with heat sink compound on them. I don't see why making the switch hole any bigger would be a big deal unless they are to high in the case.  Just my two cents I haven't built mine yet.

Brian

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, »
I built 2 out of 4 like this.
Will

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, »
Fortunately (despite the grief I received... :) ) I did not solder the regulators in place until this evening.
I saw the exchange in the other thread and got the idea where I'd get into trouble.

I haven't put anything into the cases yet, but I do have everything ready to go in now.  well, need to bolt down the regulators, etc. yet.  but I'm close.

can you desolder them, adjust the bend and continue with the original parts? ...or did you trim the leads too soon?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline meman

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, »
The back of the heatsink directly behind the LED is gonna get real hot, so cutting out the holes for the switches and letting the board lay close to the surface may or may not work out in the long run.
If I were in your shoes, I'd just hit the Depot for a piece of aluminum bar stock and longer screws; slice off 6 squares, drill them and you have perfect risers to get things leveled out. (actually marking, drilling first, then cutting off squares would be easier)

Good Luck,
Mike E.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, »
I thought in the poor manual i had for it i showed the regs going in just enough to solder not sticking all the way in.

This will put you at the correct hieght to match the switches.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying