Author Topic: How to test Aether 2?  (Read 2276 times)

Offline dannyct

How to test Aether 2?
« on: October 30, 2011, »
I just finished built the Aether 2.  How do I test?

I have lightshow pro.

Thanks.

Offline mokeefe

Re: How to test Aether 2?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, »
Here's how I tested mine:

With the switches located in the upper left corner, set both to the right position (I'm pretty sure this puts it in Operate mode with termination on).  I flashed the PIC with the latest firmware from the Wiki.  Not sure if the PIC came programmed but it doesn't hurt to reflash it.  Applied power from the transformer. Hooked up my Lynx DMX Dongle (make sure it doesn't have pixelnet firmware loaded) and connected the CAT5 cable from the dongle to one of the RJ45 jacks on the Aether (doesn't matter which one). Ran the Lynx DMX Deck program (available in Wiki).  Set the first 4 channels of the deck to channels 1 through 4.  Raised the faders in the program and was able to control the RGBW channels independently. 

DON'T stare at the LED.  It's VERY bright.

-Mike

Offline dannyct

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, »
Thanks - I will try to test this tonight.

Another question,  I have 3 Lynx Expresses and I'm using LightShow Pro, how do I add 2 "Aether 2" to Lightshow? 

How do I assign the channel for Aether in "light show pro".

Thanks,

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here's how I tested mine:

With the switches located in the upper left corner, set both to the right position (I'm pretty sure this puts it in Operate mode with termination on).  I flashed the PIC with the latest firmware from the Wiki.  Not sure if the PIC came programmed but it doesn't hurt to reflash it.  Applied power from the transformer. Hooked up my Lynx DMX Dongle (make sure it doesn't have pixelnet firmware loaded) and connected the CAT5 cable from the dongle to one of the RJ45 jacks on the Aether (doesn't matter which one). Ran the Lynx DMX Deck program (available in Wiki).  Set the first 4 channels of the deck to channels 1 through 4.  Raised the faders in the program and was able to control the RGBW channels independently. 

DON'T stare at the LED.  It's VERY bright.

-Mike

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, »
I don't use LSP but I would assume you create a new controller with 4 channels and in the setting set it for RGBW. Save the controller named Aether2 and then use it. Add it to the show and set the start address.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline dannyct

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, »
I have one USB Dongle for Lynx Express.  Do I need another dongle or I can use LE and Aether on the same Dongle?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, »
Yes you can use both LE and Aether with one dongle

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline dannyct

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, »
I have a 11V and 15 V transformer,  can I use it on Aether 2?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, »
Aether 2 requires 12v AC. Most people are using transformers use for accent lighting around the house. Like Malibu an example is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which is on the Equipment page of the wiki for the Aether2

Rick R.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, »
Actually, the Aether probably requires a little more than 12VAC.  Landscape transformers almost always put out above their rated voltage and I'm sure that RJ took that into account when setting up the rectifiers and regulation.  I would say that 11V would be a bad thing.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, »
Yes they run on 12v ac landscape transformers but as stated these are really higher voltage than this by a little. We do not want too much so it was designed to work with these type transformers.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying