Author Topic: xlights and LOR s3 RGB  (Read 7625 times)

Offline Timon

Re: xlights and LOR s3 RGB
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, »
For simple networks assuming 16 channels per controller works but as the channel counts gets higher or the display gets more complex it's too easy to mess something up. This is why I suggested adding another mode which is table driven. Nothing is assumed about channel counts but instead you define a series of virtual controllers and direct them where ever you need then to go. One example would be defining a virtual LOR controller which as 512 channels then mapping it to an entire DMX universe. Since you can define such a controller on the LOR side this would make translation a snap.

If a suitable user interface was designed I think it might be quite easy to use.

I wrote up an example of this in another thread which I've linked to here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. It not meant to be a definitive solution just a place to start discussing the issue. If there is any interest then maybe it should be made it's own topic.

OMT, If you did add a table driven feature you could define virtual controllers which would emulate real LOR controllers. You could then emulate a CCR, including all of it's macro channels, using DMX RGB pixel strips. That way you could use a sequence that was written to use CCRs and use it with out any changes using non-LOR hardware. This would be cool especially if it could be done with some sort of plug in architecture so that this could be expanded without making modifications to xlights.

Anyway, just a thought and always IMHO.

John

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
OK, I just tried adding 33 16ch controllers on the Regular network into a test LOR sequence.

The first 32 make up the 512 DMX channels I am wanting to skip or rather reserve for the DMX out on the SS HUB. ( would be used as needed)

So I just added one additional 16ch controller (#33 or Unit 21) to see if I could control the entire flex string and the first few nodes ok ... and I could !!

So then I converted some of the remaining channels in Unit 21 to RGB channels to see if I could control the first 4 nodes using RGB ... I could !!

Config:  I have a 120 node flex strip in hybrid mode programmed on the SSC for pn ch#513-835.

It does seem to work using single network node for me.  I would likely also work (as you said) in multi network mode if I wanted LOR on Regular network and
all the pixelnet stuff on Aux A network.  Another option might be to just go with all DMX on the LOR boards and that would use up some of the DMX512 channels, but
I was adding them anyways.  The only downside to that is I'd have to convert existing sequences to DMX and I"m not sure its worth it, if I could just use multi-network
mode instead in xlights.

Using the channel configuration window in LOR ... it wasn't too bad to add all these.  I think the LOR groups would save the day on the organization side.  I really love those
and the ability to convert to RGB channels is also useful.  It's very easy to create a string mode group for the flex string and then also turn the rest into 120 rgb channels and then group those into a flex strip node mode group.  So in a way, no need for hybrid mode if using those groups, unless its just faster performing or something.

THis must have been what xlights was intending.

Offline CW

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, »
OK, I just tried adding 33 16ch controllers on the Regular network into a test LOR sequence.

The first 32 make up the 512 DMX channels I am wanting to skip or rather reserve for the DMX out on the SS HUB. ( would be used as needed)

So I just added one additional 16ch controller (#33 or Unit 21) to see if I could control the entire flex string and the first few nodes ok ... and I could !!

So then I converted some of the remaining channels in Unit 21 to RGB channels to see if I could control the first 4 nodes using RGB ... I could !!

Config:  I have a 120 node flex strip in hybrid mode programmed on the SSC for pn ch#513-835.

It does seem to work using single network node for me.  I would likely also work (as you said) in multi network mode if I wanted LOR on Regular network and
all the pixelnet stuff on Aux A network.  Another option might be to just go with all DMX on the LOR boards and that would use up some of the DMX512 channels, but
I was adding them anyways.  The only downside to that is I'd have to convert existing sequences to DMX and I"m not sure its worth it, if I could just use multi-network
mode instead in xlights.

Using the channel configuration window in LOR ... it wasn't too bad to add all these.  I think the LOR groups would save the day on the organization side.  I really love those
and the ability to convert to RGB channels is also useful.  It's very easy to create a string mode group for the flex string and then also turn the rest into 120 rgb channels and then group those into a flex strip node mode group.  So in a way, no need for hybrid mode if using those groups, unless its just faster performing or something.

THis must have been what xlights was intending.

I checking to see how you ended up with the S3 side of pixelnet ch above 512.  Las year I had 500 circuits in aux A unit 1 for an element and it worked great trough the season with xlights in multi network.

I have tried to add 2 additional 512 circuits in aux A with unit 2 and unit 3 and that does not work, you get cross talk unit 2 signals control lights on unit 1.

I was thinking of going with aux B and C by adding dongles and hubs but that seams excessive. Changing the sequence as you discribed above is most likely what I need to do but is a huge task with 1500 channels.

Any words of wisdom you can share about your 2011 experience would be helpful.

Thanks,

Craig

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
xlights and LOR s3 RGB
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, »
There are two modes in xlights, do you know which you are using?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline CW

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, »
 <md..I am using multi network mode. I have LOR gear on the 1st network and pixelnet on the second network.
Testing the lights xlights works great. The pixelnet dongle is set 1536 channels.
I have selected multi network in the setup for LOR.

Is that what you are referring to, two modes?