Author Topic: I have 3 Express and 2 LOR units. I want to use all 5 together.  (Read 2846 times)

Offline lightingnut

Hello
I have 3 Express and 2 LOR units. I want to use all 5 together. One of the LOR units has the card so it will play the shows on its own with out a computer.

I have the LOR DMX output device. How do I use LSP and be able to use all 5 controllers? Since the 2 LOR are not DMX.
Do I build the show in LSP then convert it to LOR? LOR should know what to send as DMX right?

Then I save the show to my LOR controller then run the show from the controller and not have to tie up my computer.

Thanks for your help

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
You can try using xLights, it supports both DMX and LOR portocals, so you won't need an iDMX, and you can still use LOR to sequence you lights. xLights is free too. Just sequence your lights in LOR like you usually would, and then run your shows with xLights, it's that easy. You will need a Lynx Dongle (which you can get from here on DLA for pretty cheap and easy if you don't already have one) and a LOR Dongle. You will have to run 2 COMM ports, 1 with the Lynx equipment and 1 for the LOR equipment, but that's not hard to set up in xLights.

You can do some research it some more here to find out more. I use it to run my show, and I've used it to run my show and I've never had a problem that wasn't my fault (like an unplugged dongle or something stupid like that).
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
You won't be able to use your LOR player, but your options are either:

- use LSP 2.0 (handles both kinds, no problem)

- use LOR S2/S3 and xlights (handles both also)

Keep in mind that LOR controllers CAN use DMX or LOR protocol.

If you use only DMX, then only one interface is needed.

IF you use LOR protocol and DMX, then two interfaces are needed ... regardless
of which software you decide upon.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
From your post you say you have the LOR DMX device. I presume you have the IDMX-1000. This will do what you want.

The LOR and Lynx can both understand DMX. The only issue is you need to make a simple Cat5 conversion cable as the LOR unit uses pins 4&5 and the Lynx uses pins 1&2.

So if you take the LOR side wires Orange & Orange-White and the LOR side is White-Blue & Blue and wire them Qrange to White-Blue and White-orange to Blue then both will see the DMX Signal.

You will have to make a XLR-3 to Cat5 to the first controller.

Now for the IDMX-1000 just set it as Unit 01 and assign your DMX addresses in LOR as ID-01 and then your channel number up to 512.

Now if you have an LOR MP3 player or the mini director you can use that to control the IDMX-1000 by loading the sequences using the LOR Hardware Utility on the memory card. Just use a Cat5 cable between the director and the input to the IDMX-1000.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline FireMedic4Christ

- use LOR S2/S3 and xlights (handles both also)

Keep in mind that LOR controllers CAN use DMX or LOR protocol.

If you use only DMX, then only one interface is needed.

Does this include SSC too?

Brian

Offline SteveMaris

Hey guys, a question,
I have an IDMX, 2 pc units, and 4 express units. I have the XLR 3 to cat 5 going to the first PC, and I know I will need to flip the wires going to the Lynx. My question is in regards to the channel property grid manager in S2.  Does it still show up as separate 16 channel controllers? If not how do I number the channels? As far as the controllers themselves, do I ID them as 1,17, etc...
I used an ID of 11 on my IDMX.   Also I must use the terminate on the last Lynx correct?
Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Steve

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Hey guys, a question,
I have an IDMX, 2 pc units, and 4 express units. I have the XLR 3 to cat 5 going to the first PC, and I know I will need to flip the wires going to the Lynx. My question is in regards to the channel property grid manager in S2.  Does it still show up as separate 16 channel controllers? If not how do I number the channels? As far as the controllers themselves, do I ID them as 1,17, etc...
I used an ID of 11 on my IDMX.   Also I must use the terminate on the last Lynx correct?
Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Steve

In S2 you just set all ID's to 11 and then increment the channel numbers from 1 to xxx (Max 512). S2/S3 allows channels numbers up to 512 now not just 16.

I used ID-01 last year and channels numbers 1 to 176.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Does this include SSC too?

Brian, yes xlights can control a SSC, because it can read/play a LOR sequence and output pixelnet.

(xlights can output to multiple networks if you want, like to a LOR dongle + a Lynx Dongle flashed w/pixelnet)

We need to be careful in this thread, because some posts are talking about the lor idmx which is a different beast and really
does require the use of xlights at all.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline charles59

Just a note.

My understanding is xlights can take a LOR sequence and play it on dmx network.  So for those that want to use LOR controllers with DMX controllers, one can put them on the same network (dmx). The LOR units support dmx as well.  Just noticed that the above was always mentioning setting up two networks, but you could just have one if that is more convenient (in terms of setup, cabling, etc).

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Thats right, a lot of people talk about setting up two networks, but setting them all up as one is fine also.

I seriously thinking about pixelnet only ... since from the SS HUB, I'm able to do DMX also.  And each SS HUB you have basically gives you the option to have another 512 channels of pixelnet converted into DMX on the DMXOUT, if you so choose.

The trick for using LOR controllers in DMX mode ... is having the correct cable, which swaps wires 4,5 (LOR dmx) into wires 1,2 (traditional DMX).  If you put the LOR controllers last in the signal chain (say after your last LE or DMX device), you only have to swap these once, then daisy chain your LOR controllers as normal.

Offline lightingnut

Yes its the IDMX-1000. No SSC this year, saving money.

So to use the LOR as DMX controllers I make up a cable to swaps wires 4,5 (LOR dmx) into wires 1,2

Right now I have no interface. So I'm guessing for this year, I build the show in LSP then convert it to LOR load it onto the LOR player and hope for the best.

I dont think I have time to order then build the DMX dongle to run the whole show in DMX.
David

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Refer to this thread for the LOR to DMX conversion cable ...

I'm not sure you need the cable if your just using LOR gear and the iDMX-1000 ??