Author Topic: What if... I added a second LED 4-color light?  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
What if... I added a second LED 4-color light?
« on: November 04, 2011, »
If I wanted to double the light, or throw at two directions (lets say 30 degrees left and 3 degrees white, I would think it possible to connect two (2) LED lights to the heat sink (or modified heat sink).

If they were connected in parallel using so that one going on meant that both would go on, would the only problem be with heat disbursment?

(I realize that each 4-color bulb would behave the same since only the four channels are available on the board.)

Just an idea.

Also, considering connecting the manual pinouts to the switch at the back of the case.  I am thinking that would be an expected alteration.  Is there generally any problem with making alterations to the Lynx devices -- from the point of view of RJ's community agreements?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline TheBanker

Re: What if... I added a second LED 4-color light?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, »
Im thinking it must be a heat problem.  If its not a heat problem, then why not put 4 or 6 or as many as will fit on that heat sink?
Will

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, »
If you hook a second LED in parallel with the existing one, they each would get about half the current, and be half as bright.  If you connect them in series, the power supply won't have a high-enough compliance voltage to light them.
/mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, »
They are correct. The controller can't supply two. Even if I built a controller to do this the heatsink could not disipate the extra heat and anything but short run times would overheat the leds and damage them.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, by wbuehler »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, »
Thanks for the feedback.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rm357

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, »
With a few exceptions, modifications are generally discouraged. When you start making mods, there is no way for us to help with you any issues you may encounter because we won't have the modified hardware - which basically means you will be on your own. We also try to keep clear of deeply tecnical discussions on this forum.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA