Author Topic: Smart String Utility Problem  (Read 1038 times)

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
Smart String Utility Problem
« on: November 07, 2011, »
I've been trying to get my Smart Strings to work for weeks now and I have decided to bite the bullet and ask for help.  I've gotten to the point where I have 4 SSCs all doing the same thing on 3 strings (50, 50 &100) and a 120 node flexible strip.  I'm sure if I try it with the other strings and SSCs I'll have the same problems.

1) I program the SSC PICs with the latest test firmware and apply power (12.75v, 75 amps).  All nodes in all the strings and strips go though the sequence as expected with no white lockup (I added a 270 ohm resistor to the 330 to give me a fairly consistent 145 ohm equivalent.) 

2) I program the SSC PICs with the latest SSC firmware and I test it using a simple chase in Vixen. The chase starts immediately at the 5th node of every string & strip and continues to the end of each.

3) I then install the program jumper on the SSC and attempt to use the Smart String Utility to program the specifics of each.  When I hit transmit, all nodes on the string I am attempting to program flash white and continue to flash (I've tried stopping the transmission at various time interval ranging from 1 to 30 minutes)  once the transmission is stopped the nodes continue to flash until I power down the controller. ( Is the transmission supposed to stop on its own and are the nodes supposed to stop flashing ?)
I then attempt to use the same sequence from step 2 and none of the nodes on the string I configured light but if I happen to plug one of the other controllers that I had not tried to configure with the Utility into the hub it will start at the 5th node and continue to work as in step 2.

This is absolutely repeatable on the 32 bit Vista machine I am currently using and had happened the same way in my XP machine that just bit the dust.  Any suggestions anyone might have would be appreciated as I had intended to outline the windows and roofline with these pixel strings for Halloween and now I would be happy to be able to use them for Christmas.

PS - I have gone through all the troubleshooting postings I could find and they have been an enormous help in getting me this far, hopefully only this one last obstacle to overcome. 
Luceat lux vestra

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Smart String Utility Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, »
Hi maffeirw,

2) Make sure you are not setting null nodes in the SS Utility. You are using String Nodes.

3) When the SSC is in program mode and you transmit the info from SS Utility, They will blink white to let you know the settings were programmed in. The only way to stop it is to remove power from the SSC and move the jumper back to operate mode.

3a) When you program the start address did you also make a change in vixen? Since you no longer see the chase pattern
3b) If they don't flash white when programming then you have a bad node or more.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
Re: Smart String Utility Problem
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, »
Rick

I tried your suggestions and I think the answer was that I was forgetting to remove the SSC programming jumper before testing it with Vixen.  Boy do I feel stupid.  :-[  Thank you for you quick response as I would probably be working on this for the next 4 weeks if you hadn't.  Everything seems to work now. ;D

Ron M.
Luceat lux vestra