Author Topic: Writing SSC firmware  (Read 2606 times)

Offline djohnson

Writing SSC firmware
« on: November 15, 2011, »
Hi,
Did a few searches on the forum and scanned the wiki but can find answers to my noob questions...

Can someone point me to, or help out with, instructions for programming the SSC firmware using a Pickit 3?
I'm not completely new, but cant seem to get the settings correct to be able to write the PIC, it always fails.

Should I power the board through the Pickit utility? or supply outside power?
Do I need to select the PIC or accept the auto detected model?
Do I use the SSC programmer jumper, or is it for the SSC utility only?

Sorry for all of the newbie questions, Ive been developing LSP instead of doing my SSC homework. :)

thanks for any helpful pointers,
David

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
Re: Writing SSC firmware
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, »
I have been able to program my SSC's without powering them.
For the Pickit 3 you will need to manually select the Pic "24FJ32GA002"
Leave the other setting at there default. To test after you have selected the Pic model try clicking the erase button to see if the programmer can then access the chip by erasing it.  If this works ok to this point, post back and well go with the next steps.

The program jumper is for setting the start channel, this will be done after the firmware is loaded.

Bill

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, »
I have notice that if the lights are connected to the SSC then it needs power from the hub/pc power supply otherwise the pickit is trying to power everything and it doesn't have enough amps to do that.

Once you have the SSC flashed (programmed) then you can use the SS Utility to set the options on it. Like start address, number of nodes, type of nodes, etc. RJ did a video showing how to use the Utility. Found in the SS Library Second Video down first column You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline djohnson

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, »
I have been able to program my SSC's without powering them.
For the Pickit 3 you will need to manually select the Pic "24FJ32GA002"
Leave the other setting at there default. To test after you have selected the Pic model try clicking the erase button to see if the programmer can then access the chip by erasing it.  If this works ok to this point, post back and well go with the next steps.

The program jumper is for setting the start channel, this will be done after the firmware is loaded.

Bill
great! thank you, I will give it a shot when I get back to the office.

Offline djohnson

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, »
I have notice that if the lights are connected to the SSC then it needs power from the hub/pc power supply otherwise the pickit is trying to power everything and it doesn't have enough amps to do that.

Once you have the SSC flashed (programmed) then you can use the SS Utility to set the options on it. Like start address, number of nodes, type of nodes, etc. RJ did a video showing how to use the Utility. Found in the SS Library Second Video down first column You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rick R.
right, I did see the video on the SSC utility.

The default voltage is set to 5v is that sufficient for programming? there are also two powering checkboxes next to the voltage value... should they be checked/unchecked?

thanks in advance

Offline rm357

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, »
Be sure to use the progrmming utility and not the IDE.
Too many things in the IDE hae to be done just right for routine programming.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, »
Maybe this will help.   (Can someone check my work?)   :)

<Attachment:  Programming the SSC with the PICKit 3 Utility.pdf >

:) joe
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, by JoeFromOzarks »
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, »
Looks good to me.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Dude_From_WA

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, »
Maybe this will help.   (Can someone check my work?)   :)

<Attachment:  Programming the SSC with the PICKit 3 Utility.pdf >

Hello Joe:

Your programming guide is good as is, but it assumes that the Pickit has the proper firmware for the device you are trying to program.  You may want to consider adding instructions for downloading the Pickit3 firmware from the MPLAB IDE before connecting the Pickit to the SSC (or Powered Hub). 

Something like ...
1.  Connect the Pickit3 to the PC via USB cable.
2.  Open the MPLAB IDE.
3.  Menu item Programmer ... Select Programmer ... Pickit3
4.  Menu item Configure ... Select device ... Select "PIC24FJ32GA002". Click OK.
5.  MPLAB will attempt to connect to the Pickit3 and download the necessary firmware as required.
6.  (very important) Close the MPLAB IDE. It should not be used to program devices unless you know what you're doing (there are just too many moving parts in the IDE).

<<< now continue with your instructions >>>

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, »
Just be sure to note that updating the pickit3 itself is a one time operation.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, »
Those instructions are in the "installing and configuring the PICkit 3" document I posted last year.  I'm pretty sure it was last year, I can't think 'cause Thanksgiving is smelling really good around here and I'm hungry!!!   (Really hungry!!!)

I'll see if I can find it and post a link after supper.  Might be better to put both documents in the Wiki, I dunno.

Hello Joe:

Your programming guide is good as is, but it assumes that the Pickit has the proper firmware for the device you are trying to program.  You may want to consider adding instructions for downloading the Pickit3 firmware from the MPLAB IDE before connecting the Pickit to the SSC (or Powered Hub). 

"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)