Author Topic: Setting up Etherdongle with LSP 2.0 Guide  (Read 7602 times)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Setting up Etherdongle with LSP 2.0 Guide
« on: November 16, 2011, »
Attached is a draft guide on how to setup LSP with the Etherdongle with multiple hubs.  This details the setup I am running this year.  I have done some basic testing, but won't have everything setup until this weekend.  Hopefully this will save others time when setting up your display.  I hope I got it all right. :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, by Mickpat »

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, »
Looks great and is VERY helpful. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Ron

Offline jeffcoast

Re: Setting up Etherdongle with LSP 2.0 Guide
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, »
The tables of channels are great, but there are some typos. On page 3, "SSC Channel # and LSP Channel #" for hub 2 says 1892 instead of 8192, and hub 4 says 11289 instead of 12289. Now, I just need to get my Etherdongle to make use of the rest of the information.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, »
So when configuring the output I just leave them on Multicst Local Area connection or give it Unicast of 239.255.0.1 ect?

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, »
Multicast.  Use the screenshot as a reference.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, »
Thanks I keep seeing references to those IP settings but it is usually about xlights.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, »
With LSP v2 - I do not believe that there is any place to enter an IP address in the E131 Output Plugin.   Instead for every available interface you will see a 'Multicast Lan' selection.   If you had two NICs in your machine you will see two entries in the drop down selection box.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, »
If you right click the multicast area a place to enter IP's shows up and then a unicast for that IP shows up as a choice. Which is why I was asking. I saw another post saying 239.255.0.1, 239.255.0.2 on up to .8 need to be added to LSP and xlights.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, »
Thanks for the guide.

I don't have a multicast local area network in the dropdown?  I have 2 choices: multicast ms tcp loop and multicast wireless.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for the guide.

I don't have a multicast local area network in the dropdown?  I have 2 choices: multicast ms tcp loop and multicast wireless.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

LSP will only show what you have available. If you are trying to run it wireless then select the multicast wireless, if not I would select multicast ms tcp loop.

On a note to the wireless. I had some trouble getting my wireless to work because my router did not support multicast. After new router installed all is good : except LSP does have issues running wireless right now. It will work, but timings are off and channels do not run correctly. I am sure that David will solve this in a future release.

BTW This is a GREAT guide for LSP Setup! Thanks Mickpat!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, by rdebolt »

Offline zwiller

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, »
Tried the loop setting.  No dice. 

FYI eD worked fine in vixen.  Tried pixelnet flashed dongle and it works fine with LSP.  I just tried flashing eD for dmx hoping it would fix no dice.  Added a unicast IP in LSP.  No dice.  Already have crossover cable and IP setup.  Does the hub need to be flashed for DMX?  Don't see firmware for that.  Also, dmx out of eD is connected to pixelnet input of hub right?

Just spent an hour or so learning to disable the output so I can see my preview  Boy I am a rookie.   <fp.

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, »
There is only DMX firmware for the hub since that is what the chip does on it. It was not programmed so if you have not programmed you hub then it will not work.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zwiller

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, »
I flashed hub and it works just fine with dongle.  Does the eD need be flashed to dmx for LSP?  Not sure about that.

I think the eD is fine and my computer needs something.  I think not having the lan dropdown in LSP is the issue but do not know how to fix.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I flashed hub and it works just fine with dongle.  Does the eD need be flashed to dmx for LSP?  Not sure about that.

I think the eD is fine and my computer needs something.  I think not having the lan dropdown in LSP is the issue but do not know how to fix.

One thing in LSP is make sure that you have the act box checked when you are in the configure output for E1.31. I made that mistake and it took someone else to point that out to me even though I knew it was there. If you don't have it checked you will get nothing out of the etd.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, by rdebolt »

Offline rm357

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, »
The EtD should only be flashed for DMX if you are using it to produce DMX directly, I.e. connecting an express to the EtD output. In this configuration, each pair will have 1 DMX Universe on it. You can then use the combiner board as a splitter or make a custom cable to use the other three universes. When flashed this way, the EtD is not compatible with the pixel net hubs or the ssc and cannot be used to drive smart strings.

The active hub has a pic to convert pixel net to DMX so that you don't need another dongle for the DMX equipment, you can just mirror part of the pixel net universe for those devices...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA