Author Topic: SSC / Vixen Channel Order Problem  (Read 1021 times)

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
SSC / Vixen Channel Order Problem
« on: November 16, 2011, »
I'm having a strange problem but I'm hoping that is something simple that I'm missing.  I've created a 2560 channel Vixen file and reserved the first 512 channels for my existing controllers.  The rest of the channels are dedicated to PixelNet and defined as channels 513 - 2560.  I have used the LYNX Smart String Utility to program a number of controllers with varying length strings as hybrid strings as follows:
Start      # Nodes    Direction
513         106         Backward
834         100         Forward
1137       111         Forward
1473        54          Forward
1638        54          Forward
1803       100         Forward

The first 4 strings work perfectly with the first 3 channels from the start channel controlling the entire string and the rest controlling a single pixel/color each.
Starting at address 1638 when I program the string it does not get controlled with that channel but with a channel 512 forward (2150) and the next controller which is programmed to start at 1803 actually starts at 2315.
I have tried reprogramming different controllers numerous times with the same effect.  If I have to, I can add some extra channels and reorder the channels, basically not using those 512 channels, but I don't know if that would effect my ability to control 4096 pixelnet channels from one dongle or not.  Any suggestions would be appreciated on how to resolve this issue or even if anyone else is having similar problems. Thanks

Ron M.
Luceat lux vestra

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
Re: SSC / Vixen Channel Order Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, »
I had the same problem. When I set the pixelnet plugin to start at channel 513, all the SSCs were shifted by 512 channels. I changed the pixelnet plugin to start at 1 and everything worked fine.

If you set the pixelnet plugin to start at channel 513, the first SSC for channel 513 has to be programmed to channel 1. In other words, subtract the number of DMX channels from the channel number and program the SSC to that.

If you want the SSC set to 513, set the channels for the pixelnet plugin for 1 to 2560. Then, things should work as you expect them to without having to reprogram the SSCs.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, by rmp2917 »

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
Re: SSC / Vixen Channel Order Problem
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I had the same problem. When I set the pixelnet plugin to start at channel 513, all the SSCs were shifted by 512 channels. I changed the pixelnet plugin to start at 1 and everything worked fine.

If you set the pixelnet plugin to start at channel 513, the first SSC for channel 513 has to be programmed to channel 1. In other words, subtract the number of DMX channels from the channel number and program the SSC to that.

If you want the SSC set to 513, set the channels for the pixelnet plugin for 1 to 2560. Then, things should work as you expect them to without having to reprogram the SSCs.

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but I followed your advice and reprogrammed all the SSCs using the method you described and everything worked out exactly the way you stated.  Thank you for the simple explanation.  It's great that everyone on this board is willing to helpout.  Thanks again :)
Ron M. 
Luceat lux vestra