Author Topic: Lynx Dongle to DMX 5 pin  (Read 5329 times)

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
Re: Lynx Dongle to DMX 5 pin
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, »
First time i actually used the flood was this past Halloween.
Thriller- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline soakes94

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, »
It looks good :)

Do you not need some kind of resistor on the 5 watt leds? Because I would be powering it off a computer PSU which can handle about 26 amps at 12V

Steve

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, »
If they say they can be ran off of 12 volts than no. But most likely you will need one. Show me what leds you are thinking about and i can figure out what resistors you need for it. I may even have the right ones in my supply of electronic parts.

Offline soakes94

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, »
Probably something like this to start with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login just to have a go and see how powerful these things really are.

Steve

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, »
Looks like the red power will require a 27 ohm resistor, and the blue and green will require a 25 ohm resistor. That is calculations on a 12 volt regulated supply. i would suggest both resistors values be at least 4 watts in power handling.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, »
You may want to contact Rj or one of the others and make sure the board can handle the 3 watt leds on each channel. Im assuming your gonna be using a dc16 channel controller.

Offline soakes94

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, »
I'm not sure what controller I would be using, possibly the ren48lsd but im not sure.

Thanks for all your help :)

Steve

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, »
O i know nothing about those controllers, so i cant help you on what it can handle.

Offline soakes94

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, »
Thats fine :) I cant remember what the transistors are rated at but I can find out :) I was wondering is there another more efficent way of powering high power leds? I was thinking if I had say 10 3W leds thats going to be alot of heat coming from the resistors and I was wondering if there was a more efficent way of dimming or if that was it?

Steve

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, »
While we are drifting off the original topic, LEDs should be driven with a constant-current driver; connecting them straight across a power supply or for the high power ones, with a simple series resistor, will certainly reduce their life.

You can make a constant-current source from a linear regulator (that's what RJ did in Aether 2) or for higher efficiency, use a switcher.
/mike

Offline soakes94

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, »
If I wanted to power something like 3 of these from a 12V DC supply, what kind of circuit should I be looking at? I can do LED's when its just resistors but I just cant work my head around the high power stuff

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ahh okay, I was talking to my school technician about my kit and he wanted to have a go on the stage lights, nothing fancy, there all just par cans and things

Per the user agreement Lynx Hardware is not to be used for any commercial application.

Bill

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, »
Do you mean the 12 volt power supply, or the controller itself?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ahh okay, I was talking to my school technician about my kit and he wanted to have a go on the stage lights, nothing fancy, there all just par cans and things

Please just do not use my equipment in a school. As per our rules this would be considered a commercial use.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline soakes94

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, »
Okay that's fine just out of interest since I didn't realise about all of this, is it a legal contract I'm in with yourself?