Author Topic: Vixen won't load sequences  (Read 1891 times)

Offline JZ

Vixen won't load sequences
« on: November 16, 2011, »
I've still got a ton of work to do and have been trying to make some sequencing progress this week then started running into this problem last night.

Most of my sequences (the ones I care to use anyway) won't open.  I get this error:
"Unhandled exception has occurred...blah, blah, blah.
Index was out of range.  Must be non-negative and less than size of the collection.
Parameter name: index."
[Continue]    [Quit]

Actually this seems to be happening to the sequences using a new profile I created using Vixen Sequence Builder - although sequences with an older profile built with VSB seem to open fine.

One sequence I just spent most of the day working on and saved often worked fine until I closed and tried to re-open it this evening.

Any help?

My profile is 4096 channels (although I am not actively  using that many).

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
Re: Vixen won't load sequences
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, »
This is most likely a problem with your profile and not your sequence.

I got this error when I manually edited some of the sort orders and messed one of them up.

Open your profile in vixen and set the channel order to "Restore natural order".

Close the profile and try opening your sequence. If the sequence opens successfully, you can change the channel order from the drop down menu to see which one is causing problems.

Offline JZ

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, »
I think you are correct - it is profile related.

Restore natural order did not work for me but I did find that if I removed the profile from the profile folder I can then open the sequence.  Of course it reverted back to its original profile with fewer channels so I lost a lot of sequencing info but at least I can open it.

I created a new profile with only the number of channels I need (1632) and tried naming it the same as the previous profile.  That did not work - Vixen would not open the sequence.

But it seems to work if I give that same newly created profile a different name and attach it to the sequence in Vixen.  I can then save and re-open the sequence.

But now I have to do about 60 channels of re-programming/sequencing plus 512 nodes of smart strings.  And I'm not too confident this won't happen again after I think I'm done.  Good God I hope it works this time.

Offline JZ

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, »
Don't know what it means if anything but I just noticed the "final" sequences I had done that won't open with the profile I was using are pretty huge - about 100MB each.  Whereas one with the new profile (and just filled with random sequencing to try to fill it up) is about 45MB for the same song and number of active channels.  Of course the old profile had 4096 instead of 1660 channels so maybe that explains the size difference.

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, »
As long as you have not overwritten your sequence, all the information should still be there. You just need to figure out how to fix your profile so that it will open correctly.

The error that you are getting is caused by a mismatch in the number of channels vixen is expecting and the number of channels in your profile. This is usually in the sort order section of the profile.

If there are more channels in the sequence than in the profile, vixen will simply cut off the extra channels. Once you save it, any data in those channels will be lost. If there are more channels in the profile than the sequence, the extra channels will simply be blank.

If you don't mind sending me your sequence and your profile, I can probably fix it for you (assuming you haven't written over it and still have the original sequence with all the channels in it).

Vixen saves the values for each cell. So the more channels you have the larger the file.