Author Topic: all members report any Aether II issues  (Read 31236 times)

Offline zwiller

Re: all members report any Aether II issues
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, »
I followed memans instructions in the aether programming thead and I didn't need to reflash.
 Once they are programmed there are absolutely no issues and rock solid.  Would post a link for you but I am mobile Shopping with the fam. Aether2s rock.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is possible that there is an problem with either a) the Lynx address utility or b) the program mode of the Aether?

I hope this gets us closer to the solution.

Kurt

It is always possible but I would expect everyone else to see the same issue. When I can get time to spend I will clean my bench and set one of mine up and try it again myself using firmware downloaded from the wiki. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, »
RJ,

Of course, I by no means meant this was the issue.  Just exploring possibilities.  It is most likely something very dumb on my part (a mis-solder or a bridge or the like).  I know I am close to a solution.  Just very bizarre that I reflash the PIC and all works at address 1.  When I use the address utility (which I have double-checked to have the latest d'led from the site) things go strange.  I will try again tonight, now that I gave it a rest for a day.  Unfortunately, my show computer is the same laptop that i use for flashing so it limits my ability to work on this from 1700-midnight.  It may be something that is wrong on my unit when it goes into program mode (again from something stupid I am sure I am missing on my end).  One test might be to get a HEX of someone who has an address set to 133 on a unit that works and I load that and it works on my unit then I know it is something going wrong when I set my unit to program.

BTW, no rush on this.  Show is going strong and will be running for another 8 days.  After that I get a small vacation to see the folks in Memphis.

Thanks,

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline meman

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, »
Kurt, I sent a PM but will follow up here as well. Ignore the instructions in the wiki and follow the method I outline in this thread.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There is something about throwing the program switch back to run at the right instant that makes it all come together. Catching a pulse while its high/low, whatever. Miss it and a hex dump of your chip looks hosed, but its not, because simply trying to reprogram again using my method will correct it if you get the timing right and see a single white flash from the Aether.

Good luck,
Mike E.

Offline RDwizard

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, »
I can confirm that Meman's method definitely does work! (x5)

Offline zwiller

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, »
X2 for me. Go meman.

Make memans method the new wiki?

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, »
Sounds good can anyone post that to the wiki as this is great info. I will look at the firmware when I get a minute to see if I can make it less picky.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, »
Success!!  Part of my issue was a dead USB port on another computer that I was using for testing.  This was pretty bad that I didn't catch that.  The meman procedure (official name?) worked great. 

1 down and 2 to go.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, »
I have built my first Aether II. I have a problem. I don't think that I am getting the channels programmed. Vixon will not run the Aether II.

I am using the smart string utility as directed at the end of the manual. In the SS Utility I set the start channel to 1, Mode is Individual Pixels, Direction is Forward, Node count is 4, null Nodes is 0. device type is string. I start transmit on the utility. With the Aether II in program mode I apply power. I never see the flashing red.

With the Aether II not connected to the network, I get the following: With the outside switch to the left (operate) I get blinking bright something (red or red-orange). With the outside switch to the right (program) I get solid white. After each try I erase and re-flash the PIC.

Any ideas?  Jim Wright
Jim Wright

Offline inzeos

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2012, »
Don't believe you are supposed to use the smart string utility with the Aether II device.  I certainly did not.

However, before you go changing the channels you might want to try it with the default channels assuming you still have your factory firmware flashed from the coop.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2012, »
From the manual...
Use the Lynx Address Utility and send the start address. Click On transmit

this is the program used to set the start address for all the dmx equipment.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2012, »
I feel like a complete dummy! That ought to do it. I will try that. Thanks for the help.  Jim W
Jim Wright

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2012, »
OK. I used the correct Lynx address utility and it did not help. Now in program mode instead of white, I get a dull green light. Also, I never get the flashing red to indicate that the channels have been assigned. What next?
Jim Wright

Offline zwiller

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, »
Jim,
Did you try memans method above?  Worked like a charm for me.  Hope it does for you.

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, »
Yes. I did try it, several times. All to no avail.
Jim Wright