Author Topic: Pickit 3 help  (Read 2520 times)

Offline joatman66

Pickit 3 help
« on: November 17, 2011, »
I purchased a Pickit 3 to do my own programming.

I read through the WIKI, installed drivers then Pickit 3 programming application and thought I was ready to go...

I seem to be having trouble somewhere along the line. 

Is there a walk through on using the Pickit 3 to program dongles anywhere?

Thanks again!

-Aaron

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Re: Pickit 3 Walk Through
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, »
I did a little write up using the PICkit3 on the SSC's here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Dongle uses PIC18F2450-I/SP  (verses the PIC24FJ32GA002-I/SP for the SSC) and the Dongle doesn't have the ICSP that the SSC has.

The firmware is here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The firmware for the DMX Dongles is not the same as the Pixelnet Firmware, which Dongle are you building?

What are you using to hold the PIC18F2450-I/SP for programming, such as J1SYS's ZIF sockets?

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline joatman66

Pickit 3 help
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, »
I posted similar message in the "porch" earlier only to realize I should have posted it here.

I am trying to program my dongle pic using Pickit 3 and zif board I acquired from Sure Electronics.   I keep getting no device found error when I try to read or write to pic. Can I use the 2450 in the 40 pin slot, or do I need to have one specifically for the 18FJ2450 28 pin chip?

I'm including a picture of the hardware in case anyone has similar that can see if I'm doing something wrong.

I was able to successfully program the LE pic using the Pickit 3 hooked directly to the LE's header.

I'm also including a screen shot of the Pickit programmer  screen.

There's no configuration options on the zif board, so I'm at a loss at the moment.

Thanks!
-Aaron

---
I am here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, by joatman66 »

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Re: Pickit 3 help
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, »
Oops!  I just answered here:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Do you have a link to the Sure Electronics ZIF board?

:) joe
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, by JoeFromOzarks »
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline inzeos

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, »
Most of those boards come w/ a manual or reference information on how to set up jumpers for specific chips or families of chips.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, »
I have that Sure Electronics board. It has a 40 pin ZIF socket and I just put it in like your picture so that Pin 1 is the same. (though your JPGs are too low resolution for me to really see your wiring and chip position)

I have the PICkit 2 and it has worked for me (for the Lynx Express).

I startup the software last and it usually discovers the correct Chip Family and sets the voltages for me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, by JonB256 »

Offline joatman66

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, »
Solved my issue...  I assumed, didn't verify that the cable was correct.  It wasn't.  It is actually wired as a crossover, so I flipped it and all is well...

-Aaron