Author Topic: How to get Vixen to Work with the Express  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Raptorman670

How to get Vixen to Work with the Express
« on: November 22, 2011, »
Hi Guys I need help! I tested the Express and everything tested fine. I loaded a sequence I found and ran the sequence preview and it runs fine should I be able to plug my dongle in and the the Express work at the same time I tried and i have no dmx led lit or no other leds on the channels light up to the sequence. Do I have to run the sequence some other way to do a show or should it work when the preview is played?. I looked at the videos and could not find how to run Vixen just how to set up a sequence. I have my dongle set on the right com port but i don't have a tester. If any one can give me a link or anything on how to actually run Vixen I would very much appreciate it.
              Thanks Dave

Offline pk

• Patron Member
Re: How to get Vixen to Work with the Express
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, »
Did you check out these videos on setting up the dongle?  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bill explains how to set up the dongle and Vixen

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, »
Looks like you just need to enable the entec dmx output plug in for the dongle in your profile.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did you check out these videos on setting up the dongle?  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bill explains how to set up the dongle and Vixen
                                             Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I did follow the videos from Bill but I don't have a DMX tester. I have the v1 dongle that does not have any leds so I don't know how to actually test it. Are there any videos for Vixen other than how to make a program? I am looking for a video showing how to setup,play and schedule your show ie sequence,program.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, »
Just to verify that that the hardware is working. I would download and install DMX Deck to see if the LE responds. Hate to trouble shoot software if there is a hardware problem. You can get the program and others in the Wiki software page.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, »
Just to verify that that the hardware is working. I would download and install DMX Deck to see if the LE responds. Hate to trouble shoot software if there is a hardware problem. You can get the program and others in the Wiki software page.

Rick R.

Hi thanks for the info Rick I downloaded the DMX Deck and not sure if I'm using it right but here is what I did. I connected the Express to the Dongle and the Dongle to my PC opened up the DMX Deck and moved the sliders up and down but did not see the Leds dim or get bright. Is there any way to test the dongle without the tester?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, »
Well did you load the FTDI drivers? See the wiki software page if needed
If so or after you do load the drivers. What com port is the dongle connected to?
Make sure you set dmx deck to that com port
Also make sure dmx deck channel numbers match the first couple channels of the LE

ie: If LE is set to channel 1 then DMX first channel is also 1 and then 2 and 3. If everything works then the first 3 channels of the LE should light up.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, »
Well did you load the FTDI drivers? See the wiki software page if needed
If so or after you do load the drivers. What com port is the dongle connected to?
Make sure you set dmx deck to that com port
Also make sure dmx deck channel numbers match the first couple channels of the LE

ie: If LE is set to channel 1 then DMX first channel is also 1 and then 2 and 3. If everything works then the first 3 channels of the LE should light up.

Rick R.

Yes I did load the drivers went to my computer to devices,com ports and found my port 5 under properties it said FTDI. I did set the deck to that port. LE says 001 0n displays I moved the sliders but nothing happened. The LED for the DMX on the LE is not lit also. I think my problem is with my dongle but don't have a tester is there any other way to test it. I will have to go to work soon so I will not be able to reply anymore tonight after 5:20 thanks again for your help.
                               Dave

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, »
I have a question I got the LE through a COOP do I have to run any program first to get it to work with the Dongle like the Lynx Express Configuration Utility.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, »
Was the dongle pic programmed?

Rick R.

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, »
Was the dongle pic programmed?

Rick R.
Hi Rick yes I had a member program if for me. I found him on the Wiki page.
           Dave