Author Topic: V2 Wireless Lockup?  (Read 4552 times)

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
V2 Wireless Lockup?
« on: November 25, 2011, »
First of all, let me state that I don't have a complete picture of what is going on here, so this is all speculation at this point.  I have some more variables to remove before coming to any conclusions.  Just wanted to pose the problem and see if anyone else has had something similar and if they were able to correct it.

Running V2 wireless TX directly from DMX dongle.  The problem has also occurred running the TX off of the DMX output of a smart string hub.  At some point, generally when there is not activity, the LE's stop responding to the TX.  The TX has a flashing data light, but the LE/RX's data light stops flashing.  Range is probably 20 -30 feet, so that shouldn't be an issue.  Both LE/RX's act this way when it happens, it's not just one.  I've tried universes 1, and 2.  I have not tried universe three yet, and I have not tried hard wiring the dmx to the LE's to be sure it's not the LE's themselves.

The only thing that seems to clear up the lockup is to first reset the TX, and then power cycle the LE's.  Just power cycling the TX does not seem to clear it up. This has occurred when using both xLights and Vixen, but the only real commonality seems to be that it happens after a lack of DMX activity for some unknown time period. (i.e. I haven't run any sequences for a bit).  It's happened after 15 minutes and it's happened after 24 hours. 

The other thing that happens that may or may not be related is occasional "spikes".  For example, using xLights tester tonight I had my blue strings on my mega tree on.  About every 10-20 seconds, the green strings would blink on real quick.  I've seen this before, but it was really noticeable tonight with only the blue on.
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline wftxlites

Re: V2 Wireless Lockup?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, »
I am running LSP V2 Pixelnet and wirelss DMX directly out of the Pixelnet Hub. I have not seen the problem that you are describing with wireless. However, I had something happen similiar.

I have a couple of thoughts here.

1. Something wrong with DMX wireless XMTR or RECVR.
2. Check your DMX IN and OUT on all controllers downstream of the wireless receiver.

This one happened yesterday related to #2. I was having some strange issues with two of my SSR4 DMX controllers where they would apparently lock up. I also noticed that one controller had some strange barely flashing light strings. Resetting the controller would help for less than a minute and then lockup again. Back and forth controller to controller I reset the power. I even went as far as putting them on separate AC power circuits thinking it was low AC vaoltage affecting the controllers.  The rest of my show appeared to be functioning, but being fixated on the two oddities, I was not seeing the big picture. Once I solved the probelm, it was apparent the rest of the show was acting oddly as well. A slave controller down stream had the data lines reversed. Meaning that the DMX IN and DMX OUT were swapped. Once I figured this out the whole show came alive and worked great. Having DMX IN and Out worked but not completely. It was confusing the controllers.

Hope this helps your problem and anyone else that may have pulled my stunt!

Greg

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, »
Make sure you are both running the latest firmware not the original as we did have some glitches with it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Make sure you are both running the latest firmware not the original as we did have some glitches with it.

RJ

Thanks RJ.  I thought I was using the latest firmware from the wiki, but found when checking the hex file on my computer I was using the one from 08-2010.  I found the latest at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and will give it a try tomorrow.
-Chris

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, »
Just to confirm my thoughts!  Are the latest greatest updates for firmware on the Wiki?  That is where I have been loading them from.

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, »
I have my doubts

I will investigate and update asap

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, »
As of this morning I have updated the wiki firmware to the latests version

its marked as 12-12-2010

Sorry for the older version and any problems it caused

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, »
I re-flashed the wireless yesterday morning with the latest firmware, and it seems to have taken care of most of the problems I was seeing.
-Chris

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, »
As of this morning I have updated the wiki firmware to the latests version

its marked as 12-12-2010

Sorry for the older version and any problems it caused

Rick R.

Any changes for the V1 wireless compatible with V2 firmware?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline michaelc

• Robbinsville Caputos
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, »
I was wondering about the new Firmware on the wiki.   Are the listed checksums still valid? 
    Checksums
    Pickit2 - 1E69
    Pickit3 - 1EE1

I have not been able to get my Rx/TX v2's to work since I built them and when I flashed the pics with the new code, I got a different checksum.

I'm going to post my problem in a new thread but I thought this comment was relevant for this thread.
Thanks
Michael

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, »
Rick - I am getting a check sum of 1AED using Pickit2 for the 12-12-2010 version.   I get the 1E69 checksum for the previous 8-2010 version

Offline michaelc

• Robbinsville Caputos
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, »
PK, that is the same one I"m getting for the new code.
Thanks
Michael

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, »
Yeah sorry about that I didn't update the checksum. Been going crazy trying to get the show up and running.

Rick R.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, »
I updated to the new firmware for the receiver, now all the status light is doing on the le is strobing.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, »
I update the checksums for the wireless

Rick R