Author Topic: Vixen Scheduled Programs Being Finicky  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Vixen Scheduled Programs Being Finicky
« on: November 24, 2011, »
I'll say this right now: Vixen drives me crazy. When I started with this whole hobby, I started with Vixen 2.5, but people here told me that 2.5 is buggy, and I should go back to 2.1.

Well, it seems that 2.1 is buggy as well. I tolerated Vixen last year; I ran my light display the whole month of December with only about 2 crashes during the beginning of the evening show. No big deal.

A week back, I've finished pretty well all my sequencing except one song and put all my finished sequences into a program with last year's voiceovers that I've done as a test to make sure that Vixen will run them fine this year. I was getting a multitude of different error messages when Vixen when playing a program on a schedule, and after fiddling around with it with no luck, a reboot was all that was needed. Smooth sailing for December 2011's show... or so I thought.

Now that I've finished my last sequence, and updated my between-song voiceover sequences, I created my final Vixen programs and put them in a schedule, and now I'm battling with Vixen to get it past the second song in my program. Typical B.S. about Com Port 5, and other error messages that don't help explain what is causing the problem.

Last year, what seemed to work for me was to create a copy of my sequences' profile except that the Adjustable Preview was removed, and used that in my program. This year, it seems that not doing that works better for be, but it's still not that reliable... it'll play about 5 songs before crashing.

I'd love to know why Vixen is so inconsistent here, as this laptop isn't hooked up to the internet, so it doesn't get surprise Windows or software updates that would cause unexplained problems like this. I haven't changed any Vixen settings.

Does anybody have suggestions for me?

I'm considering using Xlights, but I'm a bit hesitant to try a new program so close to crunch time. Any tip and tricks to get that to work smoothly? I assume I can use the same Windows drivers for the Dongle? And I also assume Xlights isn't so friggin' buggy?
<md..
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Vixen Scheduled Programs Being Finicky
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, »
Yeah Vixen's scheduler drove me nuts for 3 years. Reason why last year I switched over the xlights.

Have you looked at this post? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It might help

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, »
Try Xlights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I know I did for my Halloween display as I was having issued with Vixen.  I like the scheduler better in vixen too.  Not much to learn and less over head IMO.

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, »
Thanks for the replies; this is truly a great community. I can't try this right away as I'm in Seattle visiting my brother for Thanksgiving, and getting some extra LED Christmas lights for cheap on Black Friday ($2.50 for a set of 50 at Home Depot--not $2 like last year, but still pretty good).

I just had some hesitation installing another program on my Christmas light laptop because Vixen is "fragile" enough as it is; I didn't even want to install the software for my PICkit on it. But I guess that since Vixen's Program Scheduler/Player "self-destructs" on its own anyways, I guess I'll have to take a leap of faith and install XLights. Any idea if it works with XP SP-2? That's what's on the laptop. SP3 is a hog, so I'm avoiding it.

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, »
It will work fine with XP.  Using it on my laptop with that installed now.
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, »
Downloaded xLights, installed it, set it up, AND IT WORKS!!!

One issue, though, it that for just one of my sequences, the light/music timing was off by about 1/8 of s second compared to when it ran in Vixen. That was easy enough to fix.